SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM

Re: Active BTV Users

Another happy BTV user here. I use it with 2 hdpvr's and it is stable, reliable and simple. Love it!

P.S. Come on Snapstream show us home users some love
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Nvidia 7300GT video card
Windows XP Pro
(2) HD PVR's
Beyond TV 4.9
Link Pc
Intel® Desktop Board DG965SS
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Radeon HD 4670
Windows Vista
Beyond TV Link 4.9
Old 12-25-2011, 01:32 AM
l33t Member

Location: About 2 feet in front of the monitor. (otherwise CT)

Quick Update ... Found the problem with my WMC and HDHR Prime. Had a bad CAT5 jumper that I was using to test the system on the work bench before I installed it into the distribution panel.

Works great. But I really hate the Windows Media Center. Have WMC running on my day to day PC and it really has a very low impact on the OS. Now I have three HD channels where I can finally watch the "cable stuff" in digital HD.

My BTV system is still working fine. I never realized how intuitive Beyond TV was until I started using Windows Media Center. I guess I'll get used to it after a while. Next up is going to be finding a way to run both Beyond TV and WMC on the same system. That will give me 3 tuners running Digital Clear QAM and 3 tuners running all digital HD. Sure is nice to finally see the SyFy, ESPN and a lot of the cable channels in HD.

Retired BTV Beta Tester. 4.x.x

(new setup coming soon)
Old 12-25-2011, 03:24 PM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A View Post
Quick Update ... Found the problem with my WMC and HDHR Prime. Had a bad CAT5 jumper that I was using to test the system on the work bench before I installed it into the distribution panel.

Works great. But I really hate the Windows Media Center. Have WMC running on my day to day PC and it really has a very low impact on the OS. Now I have three HD channels where I can finally watch the "cable stuff" in digital HD.

My BTV system is still working fine. I never realized how intuitive Beyond TV was until I started using Windows Media Center. I guess I'll get used to it after a while. Next up is going to be finding a way to run both Beyond TV and WMC on the same system. That will give me 3 tuners running Digital Clear QAM and 3 tuners running all digital HD. Sure is nice to finally see the SyFy, ESPN and a lot of the cable channels in HD.
Rich,

Great to see you back on the forum and I hope you are feeling well after all the health issues you've had.

A friend recently bought the Ceton Cablecard tuner and is running WMC. He's very happy with it but then he only has one room where he wants an extender, and has little interest in watching live TV. But talking to him has made me wonder if there was a way to use WMC to record shows from a Ceton or HDHR Prime, and then use BTV to watch them.

Would be nice to only use the BTV interface for watching. I don't know if you can watch the WMC recordings in BTV or not, if you're on Win7. Scheduling recordings would be a bit of a pain but not too bad I guess.

Let us know what confliberation you wind up with between the two.

Z

HTPC BTV 4.9.2, Athlon X3 8540, AMD 780G, 1GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, Catalyst 11.9, MCE remote

LINK2 BTV 4.9.2, Acer Aspire Revo AR1600, 1GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, MCE remote

LINK3 BTV 4.9.2, Celeron 430 @ 2.0GHz, MSI G31 M/B, 2GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, ATI HD4350, Catalyst 11.6, MCE remotes
Old 12-25-2011, 07:04 PM
l33t Member

I'm still in!

Server Dell XPS410
1x HDHRPrime (3 tuners)
2x HD-PVR Driver: HDPVR_1.6.29333.0
USB-UIRT (2 zones-HD-PVRs)
BTV 4.9.2 build 6525
XP SP3 32bit 3g
BTVLink/BM on two ACER R1600
BTV Server/Link on quad CPU machine (XPS410 underpowered when recording 3+ progs and attempting to watch any on Link)
Links are fed by 2nd i7 XP PC
UPNP/media server: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus
Comcast STBs

Old 12-25-2011, 10:32 PM
l33t Member

At present I'm running WMC on my day to day PC. It's using a Win7 Pro 64 bit system.

WMC works well on this computer. Nothing fancy. Just a 4-core 45 watt Athlon CPU that is only running at 1.8 ghz. This is a computer that I built from scratch right after I got out of the hospital. It was an exercise to find out how "green" I could build a PC. Those 45 watt processors are VERY hard to find on the web these day. The unit is also running a 60 GB SSD for the OS, and 2 conventional SATA-2 drives, one 80 GB for the program and data files and a 500 GB external E-SATA for the WMC recordings.

I'm giving all that info so you can have something to compare. Even for a 1.8 GHZ processor the thing is fast. The biggest improvement in speed was the addition of the OCZ solid state disk.

My home theater I built back two years ago is very similar but I went to a 3.1 ghz quad core to maximize speed for smartskip and showsqueeze tasks. That PC also has a 30 GB SSD. I've got it trimmed up and lean and mean. That XP system only uses about 7 GB of disk space. So far, it's been run 24/7 for about 2 years this coming February. The old HTPC had done yeoman's service running non-stop for over 7 years. Well actually had to take it off line I think 3 times to replace a power supply and two video cards (both video cards developed fan problems.) The new HTPC has a fan-less video card.

What I'm currently doing -- I'm recording shows on my Win 7 PC using WMC. The files of course are *.WTV. And of course they are not compatible with BeyondTV and in fact cannot be played anywhere other on the computer they were first recorded on.

I'm using the Silicon Dust HomeRun Prime which is a 3 tuner CableCard appliance. Cox Cable is charging me 2.99 a month to rent the cableM card. I did a "self-install" which actually went very easy as soon as I realized that I had a bad Cat5 jumper that was causing the setup process to become intermittent. .

To test the system (and remember my CPU is not the fastest) I started three 1080 HD recordings and then watched a pre-recorded 4th HD show. No problems at all.

But I hate the GUI and navigation in WMC. I miss my smartskip and being able to hit a button on my remote to jump the commercials.

What I really wanted was to eventually have my HTPC setup with Win7 and have both BeyondTV and WMC running concurrently. Both applications would be writing to shared drives. (I hope)

I found a program available that I think will make you guys really happy. It's called WTVconverter. I've been testing it tonight. It's relatively fast. I'm using the "demo" version for testing. The only cripple in the demo is that it will only convert 1/2 of the file. I did a two hour movie, and it converted 1 hour of it in about 4 minutes. (nice).

It also has the ability to "batch process" multiple files. The files from the WMC were 1080 HD files. (very nice btw) The converter saves the converted file with the same name but with an *.mpg extention, So you end up with an Mpeg file that is 1920x1080 or what-ever your original was but now in a straight mpeg program stream. I examined the converted file and could not find any thing wrong with it. It played flawlessly.

Next I copied the converted file over to a hard drive on the HTPC.

And guess what? BTV played it perfectly. So this WTV converter must be removing the DRM,. I don't think it is doing any kind of "encoding". It's way too fast for that. I believe they are de-multiplexing the stream and re-mulitplexing back into an standard mpeg stream. This is normally a very fast process. And because there is no actual "encoding" being done, the actual video quality isn't changed at all.

The SmartSkip also recognized the mpeg, but I can't vouch for it's accuracy. More testing needed there.

One thing though. Since these are actual HD mpeg files, don't try to change file the extension to *.tp. If you do that, BTV will tell you it is a corrupt file. But the *.mpg extension IS recognized by the BTV as a valid mpeg and it plays perfectly. BTW, I'm still using the original SnapStream decoder (video/SP decoder)

Now I need to set up some kind of automated batch file that will find new content generated by the WMC application and run the conversion process.

Am I crazy ?? Well I guess I'm still in love with BTV. I've already got half of my DVD collection in BTV folders .. and oh yes, my home movies of the grandkids which are also in h.264 HD. Now I also have all my favorite cable shows in HD as well. (last count I had something like over 400 digital channels. Although a lot of them are music channels. I think I counted around 240 HD (from 480 to 1080 res.)

Now I hope that WMC and BTV can co-exist and continue run okay. If it becomes a problem I do have two large rack mount enclosures (my htpc is all rack mounted) and one of them is set up to take two system boards. Maybe I can run each op system separate and have them just share a common file storage drive. That's always an option I guess.

So there you have it. Still "burning in" the WTC system .. I hope I can streamline it somewhat cuz I ONLY want to use it for recording.

You can get info on the converter ... http://www.dvr-ms.com/ I'll do more testing before I plunk down the 30 bucks for it. (very reasonable IMO)

There are several versions, and the one that best suites our needs is the first one (WTV to Mpeg). He has others that also will "encode" to various other formats like *.avi etc.) But all we need or want is a 'trans coding" process and not an 'en-coding" conversion.

I imagine there might be a lot of interest in this for the "Green Button" guys. At least it will enable them to archive their WMC recordings and then be done with the DRM.

Whew ... By the way I just got home a few hours ago from a nice day long visit with all my kids and grandkids. Yes, it's good to be alive. The oldest is 19 and the youngest was just born this past Spring. Got nine grand kids so far. Gonna have to expand the home theater. Only have seating for seven. Have fun guys and let me what you find. (and I can't resist one friendly jab at SnapStream) .. Comon guys, get one programer aside for a few weeks and just give us cable card support ... Sigh ... Or at least give up entirely and officially let BTV die, and open source the code to the community so the talented people here can future proof it. Okay I'm off my soap box now.

(new setup coming soon)

Last edited by Rich A; 12-25-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typos abound .. need more practice ..
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 AM
l33t Member

Still using it here, and a couple Link licenses. Still does mostly what I want. And I would have gladly paid for a major upgrade, but one never came. But, alas, analog signals will die off sooner or later, and its usefulness will dwindle. Cable company DVRs are crap, and they refuse to relinquish enough control to make BTV-like software as useful in the digital realm as it is in the analog. Oh well. Only gives a service like Netflix the opportunity to make more money, I suppose. I'd still rather have it my way, but that's slowly slipping away. *sigh*
Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 AM
l33t Member

Still using BTV as my DVR with 2 link machines. Currently switching to OTA for local digitals for the supposedly better picture and the recent threat of full encryption by the cable cos. HD-PVRs work well enough so I'm not moving to cable card right now.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM

Nice to see one of Rich's thoughtful posts after the long absence! I may consider supplementing BTV with WMC at some point down the road if necessary.

Cheers,
Bryan

Source1- PVR-150 (2.0.28.23053)
Source2- FusionHDTV Gold USB (6.1.12.0)
Source3-HD-PVR rev C2 (1.5.7.0)
Firefly Remote (1.2.0.816)
System- Intel G620@2.60GHz, 3GB RAM, Samsung SSD, XP Pro SP3, GeForce GT520 (6.14.13.2049)
Storage- 29 TB and counting...
Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM
l33t Member

A couple added notes of interest.

The WTV to Mpeg converter seems to only work in Windows 7. Which makes sense.

So I'll have to upgrade my Win XP Pro on the HTPC to Windows 7. Then I'll be able to run BTV and WMC at the same ... only using WMC strictly as a recording device.

I'm going to start a new thread over in the Home Theater Forum where I hope we can talk about this. Don't want to hijack this thread.

(new setup coming soon)
Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechGuy View Post
Just out of curiosity how many active BTV Users are there?

I'm using BTV and BTV Link.

Still here full time (user that is)!

See sig for setup.

Mike
HVR-1950, HVR-2250, 2 x HDHomerun
120G Boot , 10 Tb video
Microsoft RF Kb/Mouse , FireFly Rmt
BOSE HTS, Sony XBR2 52 HDTV

BTV Link 4.9.3 Sys: A64 X2 240 (2.8 GHz)
4g DDR2, Win 7 Prem 64, Gig Nic
ATI 4200 embedded video, 24'' ASUS 1080p LCD
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Still using it every day. have 1media and btv sever with 3 hd tuners and 2 standard tuners. Using direct tv, cable standard, and clear qam hd feeds. Also run 2 link boxes. BTV has been great for me running for 4 or so years now.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:05 AM
l33t Member

Yup, I'm still using BTV and Link.
Onboard Audio & Gb LAN
GeForce 6200 PCI*
XP Pro SP3
SATA Hard Drives
[2] Recording. 1.5 TB x 2, Pooled
[8] Storage
Tuners
[4] HDHomeRun Boxes, All QAM

BTV Link (Three of them): Asus AM3+ Motherboards
Athlon II or Phenom II Multi-Core
2 GB DDR 400 (2 x 1GB)
Onboard Audio & Gb LAN
Onboard or Dedicated GPUs
XP Pro SP3

*Playback on Link Machines only
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM

Still using BTV... It's pretty much the only way I watch TV these days. Tried WMC, and went back to BTV - It's just so much easier.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 AM

I am still using BTV and love it. I recently got a Blackberry PlayBook tablet so I wrote a VB script that transfers all my recordings to the PB and then deletes any video files on the PB that are over a week old. I added the VB script as a post processing task to the recording. Just another reason to love BTV (I did have to use the H.264 plugin to accomplish this). This process would work with any device that you could map as a network drive. If anyone is interested, I could post the VB script.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Still loving BTV. If my cable company would stop encrypting SD channels life would be great.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: