SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 07:07 AM
l33t Member

Google buys SageTV

http://www.geektonic.com/2011/06/sag...28GeekTonic%29

Ok SS, suppose the home PVR market gets completely up heaved by this (and most comments think it may), would that make an interesting niche for you guys to justify some developmental hours into? Might mean a lot of perturbed customers up for grabs, specifically if you made a decent extender, say something based on an ion/atom backbone?

Edit: Then again, me thinks that Google would have been equally interested in the whole tv search thing, and am surprised they haven't moved on that. SS would have been a better fit for them unless their prime focus was the extender, also Sage does have linux support, but why get that when myth has everything you need but guide data? Something else must be going on, any comment from the devs?
Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS, AMD 4200-x2 4gb Corsair memory, Thermaltake 500W, Gigabyte 9500 GT, Hauppauge HVR1600 with remote, HVR950, HVR2250, and HD PVR, Gyration air remote, serial cable tuners, Directv (HD) and Antenna with Electroline cable amp. Windows XP SP2

TV Samsung UN55ES6600F with Yamaha RX-V663 SS receiver

Last edited by ZetaVu; 06-19-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
l33t Member

Re: Google buys SageTV

Wow, I can't imagine the sinking feeling SageTV owners must have right now - the web site content, installer and support links are all just...gone. How long before they lose EPG?

On the flip side, here's hoping Google does something useful with the product and has the innovation to take the DVR concept to the next level - let's face it, the HTPC niche has been pretty stagnant for a while.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
l33t Member

All I can say is just - WOW. I was actually gearing up for a big SageTV experiment this summer, but guess I won't now.

IIRC Google bought a different PVR technology company a while back and it went the way of the Dodo bird (maybe it was Yahoo though). I sure hope that doesn't happen here with SageTV. Google will most likely rework it for streaming TV, but personally I'm not a huge fan. Even with my high speed FiOS connection the video quality isn't close to what I get with my own captures, so to me "the cloud" is not suitable for daily TV consumption.

I disagree with the HTPC being stagnant comment. SageTV was very full-featured with a very active 3rd party development base, so that is a lot of momentum flushed down the toilet. They were constantly adding new wrinkles and improving the extenders, and then you have the recent addition of the cable-card tuners. I guess it depends on your definition of stagnant, but I saw plenty of activity over there.

Fortunately my BTV system just rocks along with few problems, but I'd like to know I had a supported future path. I've never wanted to delve into the MythTV world but that might now be the only good path forward at this point.

HTPC BTV 4.9.2, AMD 5050e, AMD 780G, 1GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, Catalyst 14.4, MCE remote

LINK2 BTV 4.9.2, Acer Aspire Revo AR1600, 1GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, MCE remote

LINK3 BTV 4.9.2, Celeron 430 @ 2.0GHz, MSI G31 M/B, 2GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, ATI HD4350, Catalyst 11.6, MCE remotes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
IIRC Google bought a different PVR technology company a while back and it went the way of the Dodo bird (maybe it was Yahoo though).
I'm guessing you were thinking of Yahoo's buying of Meedio. That was a disaster.

I appreciate what you're saying about development, my point is simply that most of what's been happening on the DVR front is simply improvements on already-existing ideas. Even the addition of streaming to Sage felt like a band-aid when I tried it out, when compared to my ROKU.

I see the future of such products as being a seamless amalgam of recorded and streaming content. We're just not there yet, IMHO, which is why I'm interested to see what Google can do with its hands now in both cookie jars.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:19 PM

I've said before that I thought Google was potential competition for the BTV Enterprise product, and I think this SageTV purchase could get very interesting.

I wonder if Google approached SnapStream before sealing the deal with Sage? It seems like Google would likely just want the capture technology and platform since they already have the search technology required for products comparable to BTV Enterprise.

Cheers,
Bryan

Source1- PVR-150 (2.0.28.23053)
Source2- FusionHDTV Gold USB (6.1.12.0)
Source3-HD-PVR rev C2 (1.5.7.0)
Firefly Remote (1.2.0.816)
System- Intel G620@2.60GHz, 3GB RAM, Samsung SSD, XP Pro SP3, GeForce GT520 (6.14.13.2049)
Storage- 29 TB and counting...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:10 PM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaVu View Post
Then again, me thinks that Google would have been equally interested in the whole tv search thing, and am surprised they haven't moved on that. SS would have been a better fit for them unless their prime focus was the extender, also Sage does have linux support, but why get that when myth has everything you need but guide data? Something else must be going on, any comment from the devs?
I'll bet that this is what they utlimately want. And I'll bet that Google tried to buy SS. SS probably has some good copyrights/patents on their technology and SS probably thinks they can weather the storm. Good luck, SS, seriously.

If you have read about any of the things Google has "labs" for, this is going to be very interesting.

Google doesn't need to sell boxes, they're into new technology.

Server:
CA-FX-8120 AMD FX-8120 Bulldozer 3.1GHz (Eight Core) AM3+ 8MB
8GB PC14900/1866MHz
HDCR240M500 240GB SSD CRUCIAL M500 SOLID STATE
WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64 bit
BTV V4.9.3.6535
2x HDHR Prime
1x HD-PVR 1.7.1.30059
BTVLink/BM on two ACER R1600
UPNP/media server: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus

Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikhog View Post
I'm guessing you were thinking of Yahoo's buying of Meedio. That was a disaster.

I appreciate what you're saying about development, my point is simply that most of what's been happening on the DVR front is simply improvements on already-existing ideas. Even the addition of streaming to Sage felt like a band-aid when I tried it out, when compared to my ROKU.

I see the future of such products as being a seamless amalgam of recorded and streaming content. We're just not there yet, IMHO, which is why I'm interested to see what Google can do with its hands now in both cookie jars.
I understand what you're saying, and I admit that most of the work lately has just been improvements. Sorely needed improvements, IMO, which I guess is why I didn't see it quite the way you do, but no DVR/PVR box or system is perfect. There's still lots of room for improvement.

And don't get me wrong, I see the streaming content bandwagon coming - hard not to. I use it on occasion when I miss an episode or if I'm traveling and don't want to wait, but it's not a replacement for a real TV signal either OTA or by cable. If Google takes SageTV and combines what it does now with streaming from sources that Google licenses (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and cloud based storage of pictures (Picasa) and music (pick a source) then that could be a powerful combination. But if they choose to dump the capture capability and just make it all streaming like their Google TV boxes, then that will just suck.

Hopefully they will get it right though!

HTPC BTV 4.9.2, AMD 5050e, AMD 780G, 1GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, Catalyst 14.4, MCE remote

LINK2 BTV 4.9.2, Acer Aspire Revo AR1600, 1GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, MCE remote

LINK3 BTV 4.9.2, Celeron 430 @ 2.0GHz, MSI G31 M/B, 2GB DDR2, XP Pro SP3, ATI HD4350, Catalyst 11.6, MCE remotes
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosiz View Post
I wonder if Google approached SnapStream before sealing the deal with Sage? It seems like Google would likely just want the capture technology and platform since they already have the search technology required for products comparable to BTV Enterprise.

Cheers,
Bryan
I was thinking the same thing..especially if if SS was not developing or maintaining BTV any more. I tried Sage and its horrible---why would goog pick Sage over this product?

Then again...the SS current model and TV search software....are people really buying that product?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 AM

Not sure it is such a great thing...

BTVLink, Q6600, 2GB OCZ, 200GB WD, GA-P35-DS3L, NeoPower 650W,5x500GB Rd 5, Giga HD4650, 50" Panasonic Plasma, Yamaha YSP4000, Kewood 12" Sub,
Windows 7 64bit

Gaming, i7 920 DO, Noctua NH-D14 HS/Fan, 6GB OCZ, 2 GTX XFX 295's SLI'd, SB X-Fi Fatalit,
Windows 7 64bit

Last edited by LionRed; 06-20-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:07 AM
Problem solver

Re : Google buys SageTV

SageTV is java based (BTV is C++, maybe with some C#), just like Android and GoogleTV, which makes for an easier merger into Google's existing products, from both side...

Having access to the HD Extender, that means the HD400 could set a design standard for GoogleTV just as the Nexus One set the bar higher for the Android phone market...
GrafCorder: Record from a simple .GRF file. - MLBeyond TV: MainLobby integration.
TaBTVRemote 0.12, BTVRemote 1.01, TiBTVRemote 1.05: Control BTV's interface with an Android device, PlayBook 2.0 or iPhone/iPod/iPad.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 AM
l33t Member

Last I saw Google was still pushing for Chrome OS as the desktop standard and still wanted to use that on Tablets even though Android has taken off with that. They're getting resistance, most people are happy with Android's limitations, but this may be where they see the need for something more complex. Considering how far Sagetv has advanced on Linux (still not perfect but most of that I attribute to hardware acceleration and video drivers) I see them making a platform with EPG and functionality on ChromeOS (which I would prefer over any system on windows) and a built in user base to launch the product forward. I don't think they were counting on the backlash they received, but maybe that's just panic talk now and will subside.

Question is will they take what they want from Sagetv and kill the rest? (no competition) Will they move Sagetv forward as close to possible on the new platform? Will the offer it as a cloud service with local functionality (free software but web based)? Lots of possibilities, but like I said, a big potential for BTV and SS if they decided to fill the gap in the consumer market. There's a lot of Sagetv users who would probably switch (or switch back) if BTV committed resources to its consumer product.

And yes, the .net limitations of BTV that kept it off linux and directx limitations that hurt it in Windows7 are probably why Google passed, I doubt SS would have walked away from a Google offer. Who knows, this may spur a buying frenzy, but not sure who's left. m$ has their system (and they just steal what they need) apple is incompatible (and they steal directly from their 3rd party developers, then ban them from their app store). Maybe one of the hardware companies like Samsung will want their own platform? Again the biggest limitation for BTV is that it is windows based, and while that is fine for an HTPC, it will not work on any of the new platform devices (in fact it still doesn't work properly on Windows 7, at least until they rewrite for EVR).
Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS, AMD 4200-x2 4gb Corsair memory, Thermaltake 500W, Gigabyte 9500 GT, Hauppauge HVR1600 with remote, HVR950, HVR2250, and HD PVR, Gyration air remote, serial cable tuners, Directv (HD) and Antenna with Electroline cable amp. Windows XP SP2

TV Samsung UN55ES6600F with Yamaha RX-V663 SS receiver

Last edited by ZetaVu; 06-20-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
If Google takes SageTV and combines what it does now with streaming from sources that Google licenses (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and cloud based storage of pictures (Picasa) and music (pick a source) then that could be a powerful combination. But if they choose to dump the capture capability and just make it all streaming like their Google TV boxes, then that will just suck.

Hopefully they will get it right though!
+1 to this!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
l33t Member

Here's a bit of an answer to the OP questions:

"My take on Google's acquisition of SageTV" (Rakesh Agrawal's Blog):
http://rake.sh/blog/2011/06/19/my-ta...ion-of-sagetv/
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikhog View Post
Here's a bit of an answer to the OP questions:

"My take on Google's acquisition of SageTV" (Rakesh Agrawal's Blog):
http://rake.sh/blog/2011/06/19/my-ta...ion-of-sagetv/
Great link..thanks...Wonder if this means any development coming back to this product...
I'm not optimistic, but there's always hope.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
l33t Member

There's the potential for HULU to be up for sale as well. Now if Google purchased SageTV and HULU and integrated them, maybe we'd finally be able to cut the cable and have an integrated device.
It's about time and something I'd want to see.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/h...ng-an-offer-f/

BTV Link : 4.9.2
Intel D945PVS, 3.0ghz XPMCE, 2gb, 500gb, Nvidia 9500gt, Antec 430 TPT PSU, Firefly RF, SVid to AOC 32" LCD
BTV Link : 4.9.2
Dell uSFF 3.0ghz, 1gb, Sony 26"
LCD

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: