SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Developer Network > Development Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Re: Beyond TV and XBMC Integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrja View Post
Then I use EventGhost to map XBMC functions to BTV functions...
Mind sharing some details? Skin hack? sounds interesting. I'm using event ghost to "kill xbmc.exe, start btv3dshell.exe" and vice versa to toggle

Last edited by bradvido; 03-04-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Mind sharing some details? Skin hack? sounds interesting. I'm using event ghost to "kill xbmc.exe, start btv3dshell.exe" and vice versa to toggle
I accomplish launching BTV by using the XBMC Launcher plugin. Launcher will minimize (and put to sleep) XBMC while whatever application you've launched is running. When that application closes, XBMC is maximized and woken up.
If I remember correctly, I had to make a modification to the launcher script because it had issues launching an application that had spaces in the path. This might have been fixed in the newest version.
Install the Launcher plugin and create a launcher for Beyond TV's shell. Make sure it works.

To add a 'Beyond TV' button to XBMC I modified my skin as follows (this modification assumes XBMC is run in portable mode - I wanted all my info in 1 directory):

Added to [XBMC_ROOT]\skin\[SKIN_NAME]\720p\Home.xml -

**BeyondTV is the name of my launcher.

The label is defined in [XBMC_ROOT]\skin\[SKIN_NAME]\language\English\strings.xml -

I think that was about all there was to it.

Attached Images

Last edited by renfrja; 03-04-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info, i'm going to try that tonight. But your launcher link is busted...
Now you've peaked my interest again-->What is that Hulu plugin launching????

Last edited by bradvido; 03-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvido View Post
Thanks for the info, i'm going to try that tonight. But your launcher link is busted...
Now you've peaked my interest again-->What is that Hulu plugin launching????
I updated the link.
The Hulu plugin launches Hulu Desktop. Works the same way as BTV.

Chris
Old 03-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to famewolf

Here is a situation I ran into today...for a show called "The Mentalist" if you look it up on tvdb.com you get:

Code:
Show Title  	Language 	Show ID
The Mentalist 	Italiano	82459
The Mentalist 	Svenska	82459
The Mentalist 	Nederlands	82459
The Mentalist 	Português	82459
The Mentalist 	English	82459
The Mentalist 	Deutsch	82459
This is apparently confusing the script even though they all have the same show ID because it failed on an episode lookup repeatedly. I had to add an override of "The Mentalist" to "The Mentalist" and specify the showid of 82459...then the script processed the episode. Log attached.

Do you ever have problems with the encoder "hanging" on certain shows? I reports a music concert from public television and the encode job is stuck at 17% and has been for about 15 hours (If I kill the task it freezes beyondtv so I generally wait until after a reboot. Yeah I'm interested in that email notification too I guess but it fails when I'm off the net..get a nasty msg from beyondtv about unable to send email. What if you logged the skipped files and the error to a seperate "Monitor.log" or something?
Attached Files
File Type: txt 10492.0.btv_to_xbmc.log_20100305.txt (24.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf View Post
Do you ever have problems with the encoder "hanging" on certain shows?
If you talking about showsqueeze, yes! It seems to directly relate to my OTA signal strength. Worse strength = more encoding freezes.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvido View Post
If you talking about showsqueeze, yes! It seems to directly relate to my OTA signal strength. Worse strength = more encoding freezes.
That would make sense as most of the shows I have problems with are from the PBS station (public broadcasting service) and it has the weakest OTA signal...annoying....if it's strong enough for the show to PLAY why would it matter for the encode?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
This is apparently confusing the script even though they all have the same show ID because it failed on an episode lookup repeatedly. I had to add an override of "The Mentalist" to "The Mentalist" and specify the showid of 82459...then the script processed the episode. Log attached.
I see you processed the file twice -
at 13:00 - unable to find series (no override)
at 15:43 - found series (no override)

If the script was getting confused, it would list out all the possible hits...
In this case, it just finds it or doesn't.

If nothing changed and it did the same search twice...once it failed...once it worked..maybe a network/api glitch?

Let me know if it persists.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
That would make sense as most of the shows I have problems with are from the PBS station (public broadcasting service) and it has the weakest OTA signal...annoying....if it's strong enough for the show to PLAY why would it matter for the encode?
As a test, the next time it fails (and you still have the source file), you might try encoding the file with an external tool (ffmpeg, handbrake, etc) and see if they have the same issues.

If it does fail, you are more likely to see a verbose log that would point you in the direction of what is causing the issue...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I see you processed the file twice -
at 13:00 - unable to find series (no override)
at 15:43 - found series (no override)

If the script was getting confused, it would list out all the possible hits...
In this case, it just finds it or doesn't.

If nothing changed and it did the same search twice...once it failed...once it worked..maybe a network/api glitch?

Let me know if it persists.
It should have a total of 3 attempts in the log...2 fails without override with the 3rd being within minutes of the 2nd cause I added the override then reran it. I can remove the override and see what it does next time?

The .tp files created by beyondtv are a pain in the butt.....every time I compress one using external utils (I've tried mencoder and a few others) it ends up with the audio being out of sync with the video...thats why I still have beyondtv doing the compress instead of going to x264.....maybe I'll try the handbrakecli and see how it does.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Hmm just browsed the log again...I must have been looking at a previous failure...I see it missed it at 1, found it at 3:40 without override and then ran with the one tp file it won't process a little after that.....If it's an api glitch is there anything you can display to show what your getting back or is it just a return code of "not found"?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM

FYI...the handbrakecli command you used as an example will NOT work for .tp files from beyondtv. You apparently have to run the .tp through HDTVtoMPEG2 - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com first or you get a "unrecognized file type" error.

G:\Video>c:\handbrakecli\handbrakecli.bat "Great Performances Special_ Michael B
ublé Meets Madison Square Garden-2010-03-04-0.edl"
[00:49:13] hb_init: checking cpu count
[00:49:13] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.9.4 (2009112300) - MinGW i386 - HandBrake
2 CPUs detected
Opening .tp...
[00:49:13] hb_scan: path=.tp, title_index=1
[00:49:13] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Can't stat .tp
No such file or directory
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
[00:49:13] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[00:49:13] hb_stream_open: open .tp failed
[00:49:13] scan: unrecognized file type
[00:49:13] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)
No title found.
HandBrake has exited.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf View Post
FYI...the handbrakecli command you used as an example will NOT work for .tp files from beyondtv. You apparently have to run the .tp through HDTVtoMPEG2 - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com first or you get a "unrecognized file type" error.

G:\Video>c:\handbrakecli\handbrakecli.bat "Great Performances Special_ Michael B
ublé Meets Madison Square Garden-2010-03-04-0.edl"
[00:49:13] hb_init: checking cpu count
[00:49:13] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.9.4 (2009112300) - MinGW i386 - HandBrake
2 CPUs detected
Opening .tp...
[00:49:13] hb_scan: path=.tp, title_index=1
[00:49:13] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Can't stat .tp
No such file or directory
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
[00:49:13] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[00:49:13] hb_stream_open: open .tp failed
[00:49:13] scan: unrecognized file type
[00:49:13] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)
No title found.
HandBrake has exited.
Oh. Yeah, I don't record HD right now so I had not tried a tp file. In fact, I'm having a little trouble even finding out what kind of file that is...
From what I can gather, it appears to be a transport stream of some sort...is the tp a container? Is it proprietary?

What happens if you change the extension to .ts and run ffmpeg?
Code:
ffmpeg -i in.ts -vcodec h264 -b 1500000 -acodec copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -newaudio out.avi
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Oh. Yeah, I don't record HD right now so I had not tried a tp file. In fact, I'm having a little trouble even finding out what kind of file that is...
From what I can gather, it appears to be a transport stream of some sort...is the tp a container? Is it proprietary?

What happens if you change the extension to .ts and run ffmpeg?
Code:
ffmpeg -i in.ts -vcodec h264 -b 1500000 -acodec copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -newaudio out.avi
It's confusing..best I can figure is a .tp is a .ts...a .ts can have multiple streams...not sure if a .tp does....given that beyondtv records a single show I'd guess it only has one stream populated....I've tried ffmpeg and mencoder in past after they added .ts support but it always creates audio and video sync issues....one article theorized it's from the audio going from 5.0 to 2.0 when going to commercials or because of signal loss (I was trying it on a weak station which is probably the problem)....so I'm gonna try it on an episode of numb3rs that got recorded tonight to see if it has better luck. In previous tests both ffmpeg and mencoder failed....keep in mind most of these utilities are ports of linux utils so in most cases I've been using them for years on my linux box's....if I can find something that works I'd stop using the beyondtv showsqueeze and go to x264 for higher quality and smaller size.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM

Where are you getting your ffmpeg win32 from....I'm always willing to give it another shot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: