SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forums > Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Which Hauppauge HVR-2250 driver works for you?

I have repeated bad luck installing new [Vista 32 bit] driver releases from Hauppauge for my HVR-2250. The most recent, 7.6.1.27118, seemed to install okay, but neither BTV 4.9.1 or Hauppauge's own WinTV package work with it. Both fail to generate a valid MPEG2/TP video stream. When I look in the output files, they are largely empty blocks of null characters. I had the same problems with 7.6.1.27086. I always end up going back to 7.6.1.27023 and things start working again

I keep thinking somebody else will mention this problem here or at H's web site, but I seem to be alone on this. Any ideas or similar experiences? At least I have a working system, as long as I use out-of-date software.

Last edited by KeeterJ; 06-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 PM

Re: Which Hauppauge HVR-2250 driver works for you?

From Device Manager, I'm using 7.3.0.16198, dated 7/16/2008. Downloaded them from the Hauppauge web site.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:12 AM
l33t Member

FWIW, 7.6.1.27118 works fine for me, but I'm on XP Pro. Note that this is not a beta-version driver, so Hauppauge must have been pretty confident that it would work for most people. All of this points more to a problem with your installation than with the driver itself.

Have you tried removing and then reinstalling the driver?
plus one Hauppauge HVR-2250 on a second antenna, all in one Core2Duo E6600 HTPC doing OTA reception (SEVEN tuners in total!)

Three old (free!) laptops running either Vista or XP scattered about the house running BTV Link, attached to HD and standard-def TVs
Old 06-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Better question: Are you running HWClear and rebooting before installing the updated drivers? That is actually extremely important. I would also verify that you're running the latest chip set drivers for your box as that could be another source of your problem. When upgrading drivers (other than hauppauges, because HWClear takes care of it), make sure you're using driver cleaner (uninstall drivers, reboot into safe mode and run driver cleaner, reboot into normal and install new drivers) or else you're risking old and new driver mix issues.

I know I'm running Hauppauges latest final driver for them and they haven't been giving me any grief. I haven't even seen the blue screen issue, but note I haven't been running them that long, and I'm running XP Pro.
4 Gig RAM @ 800 Mhz
MSI 8500GT
1x 80gig SATA OS
3x 500gig SATA WD5000AACS configured in a recording pool
2x Hauppauge 2250 Tuners
Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Hcwclear is not included in the driver-only download from Hauppauge. I installed WinTV a year ago and I had forgotten about it. Tonight I downloaded the current WinTV 7 kit, extracted hcwclear.exe, and ran it. I used it to uninstall not just the drivers but WinTV, too. I rebooted then reinstalled WinTV 7 (and the included 7.6.1.27118 drivers). It ran fine and found and displayed my clear QAM channels. So far so good.

However, just as before, BTV 4.9.2 would not work with QAM with the 7.6.1.27118 drivers. I dropped back to 7.6.1.27086, and that did not work either. Then I dropped back to 7.6.1.27023 and BTV started working, again.

I'm stumped. Oh well. I will continue to use the obsolete drivers until Win7 is released then I will try again.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks for this post! I kept finding that, when I scheduled 2 QAM recordings in a row on the same channel, the second recording would act like things are ok but the tp file was never modified/smartskipped/etc after capture. When I went to play back BeyondTV couldn't and would give a "This file is corrupt or the path......" message. MPEG2Repair and programs like Windows Media Player attempting to play it back would crash those programs.

I will admit to installing a new driver on top of the old one without doing hwclear and will attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the latest drivers, but it's good to know that going back a few releases may work too.

I couldn't find release notes on their latest drivers but their last beta on the hauppauge ftp said the following changes had been made recently. It could be they've changed their QAM tuning/detection enough to cause Snapstream to choke.

Hauppauge Specific Release Notes for Wiltshire 89xxx (WinTV-HVR-2200):
Hauppauge Specific Release Notes for Wiltshire 88xxx (WinTV-HVR-2250):
Driver Release 7.6.1.27091.PreRelease (4/1/09)

/*
** Hauppauge Release Info/History...
*/
Driver Release 7.6.1.27091.PreRelease (4/1/09)
* Turn off Blaster LEDs on resume from sleep.
* Fix obscure CIR bug.

Driver Release 7.6.1.27090.PreRelease (3/31/09)
* Fixed issue which caused problems for SageTV and simultaneous recordings.

Driver Release 7.6.1.27086 (3/27/09)
* Fixed issue which under some circumstances could allow an Analog Tune to fail with "blue screen video".

Driver Release 7.6.1.27076 (3/17/09)
* QAM HRC fixed.
* Turn off Blaster LEDs on Driver Load.
* CIR Receive Buffer sizes increased.
* CIR Blasting improvement.
* CIR Handshake disabled by default. Won't interfere with pre-existing CIR implementations on Vista.
* Disable support for old "C1" prototype boards. Driver will load. No tuner support.
* Fix both Analog and Digital "First Tune" Issues.
* Fix bad interaction between [digital] tuners. Sometimes digital tuner would receive errors on tune from other.
* Initial Support for Crossbar Flexibility.
* Extend Digital Cable (QAM) tuning range up to channel 158 (max had been 125).
NOTE that this does not mean that every channel will be received well as that range can be questionable by broadcaster and tuner alike.
* Fix "Analog Blue Video on Digital Tune" issue. Sometimes analog video would go blue if the other tuner were tuned digitally.
* Fix MCE "FirstRun" detection of ATSC.

Driver Release 7.6.1.27023 (1/23/09)
* SECAM AM Audio Fix.
* Appropriate CIRCoInstaller Support in INF for Vista and later.
* ATSC/QAM tuner sensitivity improvements.
* 64Bit OS "greater than 4G" memory issues resolved (black/green screen issues).
* Support for "EnableAutoOffset" reg patch.
This improves situation for Australian users whose signals are re-broadcast on non-centered frequencies
but whose streams report the original (way off) frequency.
* Failure on "First Tune" resolved.
* Support for the hcwWilt_RegisterAdapterObject_ registry patches.
The "Std" version fixes a Microsoft Bluescreen on some 64Bit [Dell and potentially other] machines which bluescreen under some circumstances.
This is NOT a Hauppauge bug and unfortunately we are presently powerless to detect this situation dynamically.
But this registry patch will resolve the issue.
* TDA10048 SNR fixes and efficiency improvements.
* QAM Suppport on Fiji/Win7 by default. Overrideable via reg key.
* Introduce 888x, 88Ax, 898x, and 89Ax models for programming.

Driver Release 7.3.0.26198 (07/16/08)
* hcwECP BitRateMode issues fixed.
* SoftJumper implemented.
* New Wiltshire/Halesite Models supported.
* Fix for IR Priority Receive issue.
* Remove support for obscure formats.
* Works with WinTV and Digital Sources (Improved Digital Transport Buffer negotiation).
* Analog HRC support.
500 GB Boot Drive, 750 GB Storage Drive
Hauppauge HVR-2250 to comcast clearQAM
ATI Theater 650 and Haupauge HVR-850 to DB4 OTA Antenna
Hauppauge 250 analog card not currently connected
Firefly Mini Remote/Logitech Harmony 720
BeyondTV 4.9.2
GigE connection to Link System
Old 06-21-2009, 11:52 PM

Quick update, running hwclear (no longer included in the driver download but it is on the hauppauge website) and then reinstalling the latest drivers didn't fix my back-to-back recordings on same channel issue. I went back to 7.6.1.27023 and that also didn't fix it.

Ok, after mucking around with all sorts of rollbacks and creeping back I figured out it could have been a config error. Maybe it happened when I rescanned lineups but going through the setup wizard and re-selecting the 2250 tuners and the card's tuner1/tuner2 designations resolved the problem. Somewhere along the line maybe both entries for the card pointed at tuner 1. I'm pretty sure I'm running all the latest drivers right now too.
500 GB Boot Drive, 750 GB Storage Drive
Hauppauge HVR-2250 to comcast clearQAM
ATI Theater 650 and Haupauge HVR-850 to DB4 OTA Antenna
Hauppauge 250 analog card not currently connected
Firefly Mini Remote/Logitech Harmony 720
BeyondTV 4.9.2
GigE connection to Link System

Last edited by ChefJoe; 06-23-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Edited because more testing revealed not fixed.