SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > General Discussion > Home Theater PC Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 PM

Record HDTV from ATT UVerse?

Is there a tuner card I can use with Beyond TV to record HDTV from the AT&T Uverse service? Or is the only HDTV I can record from over the air?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
SnapStream Media

Re: Record HDTV from ATT UVerse?

nope, you'll have to use S-video for the time being
Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Asrock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard | 2GB Corsair CM2X1024-6400PRO XMS2 DDR2 PC6400 ram | GeCube Radeon X1950Pro 256mb GDDR3, HDCP Edition | 3 Hauppauge HVR-1600 | 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun | 1 Dvico Fusion HDTV5 USB ......

Michael Bui

Snapstream Media, Inc.

http://www.snapstream.com/

Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Could you elaborate please? I'm not very good at this yet. s-video how? I currently have cable going into tuner card and output going from s-video (to composite) from the graphics card. I was thinking if I get an HDTV tuner I could connect from the Uverse box just instead of going from Uverse to HDTV. I thought I might need another graphics card too but it looks like Beyond TV only supports over the air or QAM - Is that correct and do you think that might change in the future?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 AM

Ok, I am capturing the regular TV (non HD). Is there an IR Blaster solution that is known to work with the Uverse product? I have Motorola set top box.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 PM

I'm interested in recording HDTV and I have a technical question about the specifics - i.e. why isn't it possible to use a HDTV terminal the same way I currently use a normal cable box with a USB UIRT.

My cable provider sells HDTV cable boxes with DVI ports on the back.

http://www.shaw.ca/NR/rdonlyres/54D9...0/HD6200lg.jpg

Wouldn't we just be looking for a card with DVI in and a more powerful MPEG2 encoder (one that can handle the higher resolutions)?

Wouldn't it be as simple as that? I don't think the DVI spec has any provisions for signal encryption like HDMI, does it?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Problem solver

Re : Re: Record HDTV from ATT UVerse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
I don't think the DVI spec has any provisions for signal encryption like HDMI, does it?
One problem is called HDCP, the copy protection protocol that any DVI/HDMI devices have to acknowledge... And no, there are no such devices with the hardware encoder included, the BlackMagic Pro cards are the closest but still useless to capture from STB.
GrafCorder: Record from a simple .GRF file. - MLBeyond TV: MainLobby integration.
TaBTVRemote 0.12, BTVRemote 1.01, TiBTVRemote 1.05: Control BTV's interface with an Android device, PlayBook 2.0 or iPhone/iPod/iPad.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
One problem is called HDCP, the copy protection protocol that any DVI/HDMI devices have to acknowledge... And no, there are no such devices with the hardware encoder included, the BlackMagic Pro cards are the closest but still useless to capture from STB.
Not true.

Quote:
Many older high-definition television sets currently in use are not HDCP-capable, and this would negate some of the key benefits of HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc for those consumers.
Since many DVI devices don't support HDCP it must not be a requirement of the DVI spec. I'd be surprised if the cable box I referenced would not work properly on the said HDTV sets.

I think I'm going to try it, though. I'm going to call up by cable company and have them send over a guy and try and install a HDTV cable box and hook it up to a Dell 2405 LCD display and a Dell 3007 LCD. I know the 2407 doesn't have HDCP support, but the 3007 might. If it doesn't work on the 2407, I'll just tell cable company to go away and keep the cable box. No loss on my part.

Anyway, if the cable industry is constrained on the HDCP department because of older HDTVs, maybe that would be a great product to make - it would probably have a 5 year lifetime before cable companies decide to turn on the encryption.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Problem solver

Re : Re: Record HDTV from ATT UVerse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
Since many DVI devices don't support HDCP it must not be a requirement of the DVI spec. I'd be surprised if the cable box I referenced would not work properly on the said HDTV sets.
Indeed, HDCP is not compulsory for all DVI/HDMI devices. What I meant is that all STB with DVI/HDMI output are required to use HDCP and not to send the signal to devices who don't support HDCP. Here are examples of thread about HDMI issues when the display device does not appropriately support HDCP:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55709
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51407

Quote:
Anyway, if the cable industry is constrained on the HDCP department because of older HDTVs, maybe that would be a great product to make
In that case the providers simply say to use the component cables instead.
GrafCorder: Record from a simple .GRF file. - MLBeyond TV: MainLobby integration.
TaBTVRemote 0.12, BTVRemote 1.01, TiBTVRemote 1.05: Control BTV's interface with an Android device, PlayBook 2.0 or iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: