SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forums > Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2006, 01:20 PM

Which PCIe VIDEO card has DUAL DISPLAY mode working for SECONDARY display playback?

I am looking for a (fanless if possible) PCIe Video card that will provide BTV rendering in OVERLAY mode on the SECONDARY display in both CLONE and DUAL MONITOR operating modes for good HDTV playback.

I know the Gigabyte/NVIDA GeForce 7600GS does NOT work properly. It only works in single display mode and then has excess RED color and low brightness in playback of BTV output. Works fine with great color rendition in non BTV applications. BeyondTV says the GeF 7600GS drivers are not fully Direct 9x compatible which is s requirement for operation with BTV.

I also know that the Nvida GeForce 5200 (AGP) card DOES appear to work properly with BTV in the above scenerio. Too bad it has a LOUD FAN. And that my latest MB has no AGP slot. Anybody want to buy a good used GeF 5200?

Known to work Recommendations for above? No Guessing PLEASE!

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:31 PM
l33t Member

Re: Which PCIe VIDEO card has DUAL DISPLAY mode working for SECONDARY display playback?

If you dig through these forums, I think you will find many references that say ATI cards do a much better job of dual display. I don't do HD and my cards are all ati AGP, but I think any ATI PCIe will do the job.

BB
HTPC#1 AMD 4850e, GAMA78G ATI 4670(lite gaming), Antec NSK2480, Motorola HD STB, PVR 150, Firefly - firewire tuning, VGA to 42" Samsung Plasma
HTPC#2 AMD BE2350-45W, Hauppauge1600 - Radeon 3450, HDMI to 34" LCD, Firefly
FAMILY ROOM PACE 777D HD PVR, Linkplayer2 network media player, both by component to 42" LG Plasma
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
l33t Member

Re: Which PCIe VIDEO card has DUAL DISPLAY mode working for SECONDARY display playback?

I run BTV on the primary monitor (it's really a DirectX limitation, not BTV), but am confused about your 7600GS problem. Mine works flawlessly. If you're using the 9x.xx drivers, go back to the 8x.xx drivers. The 91 drivers are junk. Supposedly the beta 92.xx are better, but I'll wait. My 7600GS is fanless, so it is perfect.

Tom
    • VSFS - Virtual - Essentials Domain Controller
  • Dell Precision T7400 - Dual X5460 Quad Core 32GB
    • VHD2 - Virtual - HDHR Prime
  • VMedia2 - Backup Content Server
  • Playroom - Dell 540s - Sharp 60" 1080P
  • Master Bedroom - Dell XPS410 - Samsung 46" 1080p
  • Guest - Dell XPS410 - Vizio 24" 1080P
  • Loft - Dell GX620 USFF - Westinghouse 37" 1080P
Old 10-23-2006, 04:33 PM

Re: Which PCIe VIDEO card has DUAL DISPLAY mode working for SECONDARY display playba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscales View Post
I run BTV on the primary monitor (it's really a DirectX limitation, not BTV), but am confused about your 7600GS problem. Mine works flawlessly. If you're using the 9x.xx drivers, go back to the 8x.xx drivers. The 91 drivers are junk. Supposedly the beta 92.xx are better, but I'll wait. My 7600GS is fanless, so it is perfect.

Tom
I am using the 91.33 Nvida drivers. For me they work MUCH better than anything in the 8x.xx range. The dual display problems are not fixed but I can get reasonable operation in dual view by putting the Panasonic TV as the primary and the computer monitor as the secondary. I can't put the desktop on the secondary display however. But I can get the desktop icons to go there.

Question: My TV picture (and only the TV picture) is too dark and has too much RED when played using BTV in either playback or live TV mode. How can I fix this on the 7600GS Gigabyte adapter? Seems like only when in overlay mode do I have this color distortion and reduced brightness. This did NOT happein on the FX5200 AGP Nvida display adapter.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:51 PM
l33t Member

If you go into the nVidia control panel, you can set Video options. You should be able to clean it up.

Tom
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 PM

Re: Which PCIe VIDEO card has DUAL DISPLAY mode working for SECONDARY display playba

After not gettting any specific answer on the forum as to which Video card to try, I decided to try the ATI recommendation. I telephoned ATI/Canada Applications Engineering on Tuesday and described my dilemma. I told them that I needed a PCIe, Fanless, dual display video card that could operate with BTV's Overlay mode with one display on the TV and the other on the WinXP desktop and with 1080i HDTV. I also added that I was not interested in gaming or any more demanding applications beyond HDTV. I was told that the older 1600Pro and 256Meg configuration video card would do that job fine.

After explaining to me that they did not themselves build a suitable card that was fanless, they recommended that I look for an ATI 1600PRO based fanless video card from one of their "Partners". I did so and found several and selected the GiGaByte 1600Pro model GV-RX16P256DE-RH for about $95 from NewEgg.com (See: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...-RX16P256DE-RH )

I have ordered this board and I will report back on how it works compared with the Nvida 7600GS that I have now. I appreciate you guys advice! But the Nvida dual display system simply (IMHO) is not ready for prime time if you wish to operate it in DUAL DISPLAY MODE. MAYBE the ATI card will be better.. I hope so!

Last edited by w2jo; 10-25-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:44 PM

OK>. Today I received the GiGaByte 1600Pro model GV-RX16P256DE-RH PCIe video card. This card is based on the ATI 1600PRO chipset.

The GOOD news, I am able to set up this card so that my HDTV is the PRIMARY display and my computer monitor is active as the SECONDARY display in DUAL DISPLAY mode and have the secondary display have all the desktop icons available while BTV's GUI is running. A bit about how I got this to work later.

The BAD news, When I initially loaded JUST THE DRIVERS and used the very simple windows user interface to set up the dual displays, the dual display feature WORKED and I got the HDTV picture from BTV -and- also the GUI user overlay with channel info and clickable icons would show up as well on the PRIMARY display. But then I loaded the ATI control panels. After that, I set up the TV as the primary and my computer monitor as the secondary using the ATI control panel (both basic and advanced). When I set up the displays this way, I got EXACTLY the same problems I did when I operated the Nvida/Gigabyte 7600GS display card. That is: I could not get the BTV PICTURE to display on the primary monitor and at the same time get the BTV GUI user frame and icons to come up on the PRIMARY with the usual mouse click IF I enabled either DUAL DISPLAY or CLONE display mode.

So.. I had XP "restore" the computer to before the Giga/ATI card install and then RE-installed JUST THE ATI DRIVERS via the XP "found new hardware" wizard. I DID NOT install the ATI control panels and HYDRA software. I then got back to the place where I could setup the HDTV as the primary and the computer monitor as the secondary, while still being able to operate the pop-up BTV GUI and Icons on the primary. I had to "select all desktop icons) on the PRIMARY and move them with the mouse over to the secondary. I was never able to get the desktop to appear on both displays simultaneously except when BTV's GUI program was NOT running. But I could slide all of the desktop icons (but not the taskbar) over to the secondary display and then let BTV run on the primary.

I also remark that if I were not insistent in getting either the CLONE or DUAL DISPLAY features to work, I would not have had this problem. Whenever I operated any of the cards as a SINGLE DISPLAY, I could get BTV to work and display fine.

It seems to me that this peculiar display problem (seen on each of the 5 video cards I have tested EXCEPT for a Nvida 5200 based AGP card) should be the subject of a LOT of research by our BTV friends. It is VERY desirable to have BTV on the primary display and the computer monitor on the secondary display during setup and debugging. ATI (and NVIDA) along with BTV say that all this is "supposed to work" but there is some quirk fairly peculiar to BTV's software that makes it fail to work in hte general case. Other applications which do not use the BTV style "overlay" mode work fine in dual display modes.

I think BTV engineers should spend some time figuring out what it takes to make DUAL DISPLAYS work properly with popular Nvida and ATI video chipsets and driven by BTV
software and give us an application note on the subject. Ignoring this problem (according to my private mail) makes a good many people "give up" on BTV and go elsewhere for their PVR software. I got a lot of "give up" advice but I am glad I persevered.. I learned a lot!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:47 PM
l33t Member

Not sure why you're having so many problems. I have it working with both ATI and nVidia cards as long as the TV is primary.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:15 PM

Yep. Confused as to what your problem is over here.
I have an ATI 1900 and use BTV in 3D (could use overlay if I wanted, but why?) running on the TV and the desktop running on the computor monitor.
That way I can do computer stuff at the monitor while BTV is doing its thing on the TV.
I can check my setup and you can try it if the above is of interest to you.
Eric

2 Dish Network HD receivers. 2 HDPVRs

Out to ZeeVee Box for all HDTVs
Old 10-27-2006, 08:51 AM

Yes.. It is perplexing.. All video is working just fine now in the configuration explained above. Several people told me I could use multiple Dvico Fusion HDTV5 PLUS cards in on system. Would not work for me in THREE different motherboards. Then I tried two different "HDTV capable" video cards before I got a PCIe model that would work for me in dual display mode and then only if I did not load the ATI video control panel. I note that the color presentation from the ATI 1600pro chipset in default settings mode is much better than from the Nvida board. The Nvida 7600GS had too much red in the default mode.

In any case, the video system is working fine now and I am off on another much more minor problem.. ie: Audio does not always start up at the beginning of a playback. Sometimes I have to "jump forward 30 seconds" before playback audio can be heard. Any clues from you good people?