SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forums > Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 05:27 AM
l33t Member

Question channel lineup - wrong times or wrong channels

hey all,

i have an annoying problem. I live in pasadena ca 91107. There are a few cable channel line ups available on snapstream.net for that zip code. My cable provider is charter and there are 3 charter line ups. however i have a problem with all of them.

They either have the networks on the right channels or they have the wrong times.

here's an example:

scifi is channel 40 for me. according to charter and my cable box, channel 40 gives me scifi channel. However my tuner card sees scifi on channel 39. 1 or 2 of the charter lineups show scifi on channel 39 as well. But the times for the shows on that line up are incorrect. One of the lines ups (the digital one) has scifi on channel 40 just like its on my cable box and it has the correct times. But my tuner card sees scifi on channel 39.

Anyone know how i resolve this?

My tuner card is a hauppauge pvr500 (dual tuner). There are a few other channels where they are off by 1 or 2 channels. It would be really nice if i could get everything to sync up so the turner card sees the same networks on the same channels as my cable box does.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Re: channel lineup - wrong times or wrong channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk View Post
hey all,

i have an annoying problem. I live in pasadena ca 91107. There are a few cable channel line ups available on snapstream.net for that zip code. My cable provider is charter and there are 3 charter line ups. however i have a problem with all of them.

They either have the networks on the right channels or they have the wrong times.

here's an example:

scifi is channel 40 for me. according to charter and my cable box, channel 40 gives me scifi channel. However my tuner card sees scifi on channel 39. 1 or 2 of the charter lineups show scifi on channel 39 as well. But the times for the shows on that line up are incorrect. One of the lines ups (the digital one) has scifi on channel 40 just like its on my cable box and it has the correct times. But my tuner card sees scifi on channel 39.

Anyone know how i resolve this?

My tuner card is a hauppauge pvr500 (dual tuner). There are a few other channels where they are off by 1 or 2 channels. It would be really nice if i could get everything to sync up so the turner card sees the same networks on the same channels as my cable box does.
If none of the available lineups match, you need to submit a tech support request so that SnapStream can work with their content provider to resolve the issue

Media- 5 Tuners XP SP2 BTV 4.9.X
Asus P4S8X|P4 2.4|FX5200|PVR350/250/150/NVidia DualTV|OB SNDMAX

DVD - 10 Tuners XP SP2 BTV 4.9.X
Asus P4800E Dlx|P4 3.0 HT|FX5700|2GB Mem|PVR250/PVR150//2 PVRUSB2/]3 HDHomeRun/QAM

3 BTV Links - All XP SP2 BTV 4.9.X, BM 1.1, Firelfy

Family Room Asus P4800 Dlx|P4 2.6HT|7600GT
Treadmill Shuttle P4 2.6HT|6600GT
Basement Asus P4800 Dlx|P4 3.0HT|6600GT
Old 10-13-2006, 05:36 AM
l33t Member

i dont think its that simple... one of the line ups does match what i get on my tv through the cable box. The problem though is that on my cable box scifi is channel 40, but the tuner card sees it on channel 39 instead. Is there some way to download a lineup but then change the channel it thinks a network is on?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
i dont think its that simple... one of the line ups does match what i get on my tv through the cable box. The problem though is that on my cable box scifi is channel 40, but the tuner card sees it on channel 39 instead. Is there some way to download a lineup but then change the channel it thinks a network is on?
The channels that the tuner uses are driven by the guide data. In this case, the guide data doesn't seem to be matching to the channels on the box. This is an issue that SnapStream needs to work out with the content provider.

Asus P4800E Dlx|P4 3.0 HT|FX5700|2GB Mem|PVR250/PVR150//2 PVRUSB2/]3 HDHomeRun/QAM

Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 AM
l33t Member

I still think you are mis-understanding me. The guide data DOES match the channels on the box.

When i turn my tv on and tune to scifi channel using my cable box, i tune to channel 40.

When i download one of the channel line ups, it shows scifi channel on channel 40. It also seems to have all the correct show times as well.

however, when i tune to scifi channel using my tuner card (NOT using the cable box) i have to tune to channel 39. So the guide data is correct its the tuner card thats incorrect.

thanks
Old 10-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Problem solver

Re : Re: channel lineup - wrong times or wrong channels

Quote:
however, when i tune to scifi channel using my tuner card (NOT using the cable box) i have to tune to channel 39. So the guide data is correct its the tuner card thats incorrect.
You need a digital lineup (or premium/extended) for your cable box and an analog lineup (or basic) for the coax cable, since the channel numbers don't have to match on both...
GrafCorder: Record from a simple .GRF file. - MLBeyond TV: MainLobby integration.
TaBTVRemote 0.12, BTVRemote 1.01, TiBTVRemote 1.05: Control BTV's interface with an Android device, PlayBook 2.0 or iPhone/iPod/iPad.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I still think you are mis-understanding me. The guide data DOES match the channels on the box.

When i turn my tv on and tune to scifi channel using my cable box, i tune to channel 40.

When i download one of the channel line ups, it shows scifi channel on channel 40. It also seems to have all the correct show times as well.

thanks
If you take the tuner card out of the equation, and connect the cable box directly to your TV, do you see the correct channel (per the guide) on channel 40 ? Does this just impact channel 40 or are all of your channels one off ?

Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM
l33t Member

Question Re: channel lineup - wrong times or wrong channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook105 View Post
If you take the tuner card out of the equation, and connect the cable box directly to your TV, do you see the correct channel (per the guide) on channel 40 ? Does this just impact channel 40 or are all of your channels one off ?
if i use just the cable box, i see the correct channels as determined by both the on screen guide, and the digital channel line up from snapstream. The tuner cards are NOT connected to the cable box. They are directly connected to the coax since connecting them to the cable box would be pointless since then i would only be able to record one channel at a time, and i have 2 dual tuners.

There are 3 charter line ups available on snapstream net. 2 of them have scifi on channel 39 but they have the wrong show times. The digital lineup has scifi on channel 40 (which is what channel the cable box gets it on) and it has the correct showtimes. I'd like to use that lineup since that one matches everything on the cable box. Except my cards dont get all the networks on the correct channels.

MOST of them are ok...nbc, abc, cbs...a bunch of the other cable channels. But a handful are shifted off a bit.

So i'd like to either have some way of telling the tuner cards that what they see on channel 39 should really be reported as channel 40 ... or if i can download the digital channel lineup but tell it scifi isnt on channel 40, its on channel 39 and everything else is correct.

I hope that clears things up... and thanks for the help.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:42 PM
l33t Member

let me ask this: can i download the line up from snapstream and then somehow change some of the channel numbers in it?

if i could download the digital lineup and then just change channel 40 to 39 everything would be good (well and change a few other channels as well).
Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 PM
SnapStream Community Mgr

All of the lineup data gets pulled and than written to a database whenever you do an update so trying to manipulate the data like that is probably going to be a big pain.

I think what nanook was asking is a good question. We're just trying to understand if something is weird about your tuner. If you connect the cable directly to the TV, does scifi appear on 39? If yes, than there's nothing strange going on with the tuner. It just a weird way the cable provider is handling it.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:37 PM
l33t Member

ahh i see... you mean connect the cable to the tv without using the cable box.

thats a good question. give me a few minutes and i'll have an answer
Old 10-13-2006, 06:01 PM
l33t Member

happens on the tv too. On the TV without the cable box, scifi is channel 39. So i guess its not anything wrong with the tuner cards...just my cable company is doing something weird. So what i would really like to be able to do is edit the channel line up and say everything stays as it is, except change these stations to these channels.

Any idea how i might be able to do that?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
happens on the tv too. On the TV without the cable box, scifi is channel 39. So i guess its not anything wrong with the tuner cards...just my cable company is doing something weird. So what i would really like to be able to do is edit the channel line up and say everything stays as it is, except change these stations to these channels.

Any idea how i might be able to do that?

Unfortunately, I think we are back at Snapstream contacting your content provider to see why it provides a guide with scifi on channel 39 but with an incorrect lineup. As soham stated, you do not want to try and manually manipulate the guide in BTV (everything about recording in BTV revolves around the guide). Submit a tech support request, and keep providing more data here to see if the community can help

Old 10-13-2006, 10:10 PM
l33t Member

i'm guessing the guide with scifi on channel 39 is for non-digital subscribers.

I already submitted a ticket... just waiting to hear back from them. I'm also looking into using xmltv with zap2it and using their stuff. since its just an xml file i'm hoping i can just do a search and replace on it ... although i just downloaded the xml file and i dont see a channel number specified... but it looks like one of the xml importers lets you specific the channel number when it reads the file. Bit of PITA since it would seem i have to specific the channel # for ALL the statiions. But if i only have to do that once i dont mind.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Problem solver

Re : Re: channel lineup - wrong times or wrong channels

Quote:
There are 3 charter line ups available on snapstream net. 2 of them have scifi on channel 39 but they have the wrong show times. The digital lineup has scifi on channel 40 (which is what channel the cable box gets it on) and it has the correct showtimes.
A temporary work around would be to associate 2 lineups (or 3 if needed) with each tuner. Then you would for example hide the SciFi on channel 40 from the digital lineup and any other wrong ones, while you would do the reverse (i.e. hide all but a few channels) for the lineup with SciFi on channel 39...
GrafCorder: Record from a simple .GRF file. - MLBeyond TV: MainLobby integration.
TaBTVRemote 0.12, BTVRemote 1.01, TiBTVRemote 1.05: Control BTV's interface with an Android device, PlayBook 2.0 or iPhone/iPod/iPad.