SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forums > Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2005, 06:26 AM

XMLTV importer will not work :Heeelp !

Hi all, Hi Stephane,

I cannot get the importer to work. I always get the error
Unable to start Beyond TV update: unable to connect to BTV License Manager.
as mentioned in this thread : http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/show...ighlight=xmltv

I tried all suggestions made by Stephane with no luck.

What should I do now ?

Thanks a lot

PierreLo
Old 12-19-2005, 08:26 AM

Re: XMLTV importer will not work :Heeelp !

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrelo
I always get the error
Unable to start Beyond TV update: unable to connect to BTV License Manager.
Please download the latest version of the Importer. With the latest version, you'll see another error message with extended information about the error such as : "The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server"

That said, basically you are seeing this error because the Importer could not connect to the BTV Web Admin.

So:

* Does Beyond TV is running (you can see the BTV icon in the notification area of the taskbar)?
* Are you able to connect to http://localhost:8129 ?
* Do you use a password in Web Admin? If yes, have you typed this password in the Importer?
* Do you run any firewall utility that could prevent the Importer to connect to the Web Admin?

Regards,
Stéphane.
Beyond TV 4.2 - BTV XMLTV Importer - Web Based Program Guide - Firefly, Firefly Mini, Streamzap, USB-UIRT or MCE Remote Tool
Old 12-19-2005, 03:18 PM

Hi Stephane, and merci pour ta réponse

Regarding your questions :

* Does Beyond TV is running (you can see the BTV icon in the notification area of the taskbar)?
Yes.

Yes. I can use Web admin without any problem

* Do you use a password in Web Admin? If yes, have you typed this password in the Importer?
No. No password is used for WebAdmin.

* Do you run any firewall utility that could prevent the Importer to connect to the Web Admin?
Yes I run Zone Alarm, but Port 8129 is OK (I think so at least).
This firewall thing might be the only reason, so what should I check according to you ?

THanks again for your help

PierreLo
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes. I can use Web admin without any problem
The Importer will connect to http://localhost:8129, so be sure to test specifically this URL and not a URL with your machine name, FQDN or IP Address.

Quote:
I run Zone Alarm, but Port 8129 is OK (I think so at least).
This firewall thing might be the only reason, so what should I check according to you ?
Try to disable ZoneAlarm completely.

And be sure to not the full error message with the latest version of the Importer.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Beyond TV 4.2 - BTV XMLTV Importer - Web Based Program Guide - Firefly, Firefly Mini, Streamzap, USB-UIRT or MCE Remote Tool
Old 12-20-2005, 06:00 AM

Thank you Stephane.

Yes I did use http://localhost:8129 without any problem for web admin.
I'll try to explicitely enable port 8129 in zone alarm (I'd rather not disable ZOne Alarm completely). I'll also try the latest version of your importer this evening and report back to you with some more information.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PierreLo
Old 12-21-2005, 03:12 AM

Well... I'm back and things didn't get any better.
I checked everything in my firewall, no problem.
I tried v3.6, and it goes like this :

Import goes OK, creating all necessary files in the 3rdpartyblabla folder (sorry I can't remember the exact name of the folder). During the process, I see that my firewall accepts connection from the importer to localhost:8129, so this part is OK.
Then I get a message in the importer saying that import was done successfully, but at the same time , red lines appear at the bottom saying that snapstream.net did not validate my key and that the update process failed???
I'm using a trial version so this seems pretty strange to me..

Do you have any idea ?
Is there any "manual" way to update BTV with data created by you software in the 3rdpartyblabla folder ?

Thanks a lot

PierreLo
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
red lines appear at the bottom saying that snapstream.net did not validate my key and that the update process failed???I'm using a trial version so this seems pretty strange to me..
Well, it should work in trial mode as well. In trial mode a product key exists and is located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\SnapStream Media\Beyond TV\Product Key

From what I understand BTV connects to SnapStream server and validate the product key (to see if it was not compromized and if it is still valid). So something is going wrong during this validation.

Another user was having the same issue (but it was with the Importer prior to version 3.6, so I don't know if he was having the same error message), and resolved it by not allowing BTV to connect to the Internet.

So you can try to:

* either verify that BTV processes can acces the Internet (the key validation is probably made to wsdl.snapstream.com with HTTPS)
* either block BTV from accessing the Internet

You can see this kb article and also this one.

Quote:
Is there any "manual" way to update BTV with data created by you software in the 3rdpartyblabla folder ?
Unfortunately the "manual" way is the way used by the Importer.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:36 AM

Well I really want to thank you for your efforts here. Although I'm new in here, I could appreciate the time you spend helping people.I will try what you suggest tonight.

Thanks again.

PierreLo
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 AM

Well, Stephane, it still doesn't work. I really don't understand what's going on.
I won't bother you too much with my problem, you did a lot already.
Maybe you can just point me to the thread you mentioned, where a user had the same kind of problem and solved it by preventing BTV from accessing the INternet ? I tried it with my firewall, but it didn't work either. Maybe there is something special to do ?

THanks again

PierreLo
Old 12-22-2005, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe you can just point me to the thread you mentioned, where a user had the same kind of problem and solved it by preventing BTV from accessing the INternet ?
I guess it is in the main XMLTV thread under Beyond TV Downloads forum. But you'll not learn very much from this as the user just prevented BTV from accessing the Internet (and I can't guarantee that the user was having the same error message).

Have you tried to remove BTV completely, then disable your firewall and use the XP SP2 firewall during installation and configuration of BTV (or any firewall at all).

Install BTV, run the setup wizard and try again to import data.

If you want to troubleshoot the API access, you can use Internet Explorer to do so:

1) Open http://localhost:8129/wsdl
2) Click on "BTVLicenseManager.asmx"
3) Click on "Logon"
4) In the form, put your product key in the "networkLicense" field and click on the "Invoke" button (the key is the one found in the registry)
5) Normally a new browser window will open and if all is successfull, the page will be blank. If you see a "page cannot be displayed" or anything else then you are in trouble (For instance for this to work on my PC I must disable the proxy server in Internet Explorer).

If you do have a blank page, try again to Import your program guide (as for BTV you'll be already connected to the API and as so the Importer should not have any problem to connect to it)

If this do not work, you can contact SnapStream support and expose to them that the procedure with IE to logon failed (with the associated error message if you have one).

You can also purchase the product (no doubt that with a paid product key this will work : I already saw this, after an installation in trial error message with the product key, then entering a paid product key and all was fine). Then if you are not satisfied with the product you could always get a refund.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:11 AM

Thanks a lot Stephane !

You have been very helpful with your advices. I will check all your suggestions tonight.
Ìn the meantime, I tried here at work with a brand new installation, and XMLTV importer worked fine. There must be something wrong with my HTPC (maybe I installed and tried too many software there...).
XMLTV import works great, as I could see so I think I will buy BTV 4.0 and donate for your great piece of work too. Christmas holiday will be time for reinstalling HTPCfrom scratch I think.
But now it's time for a Christmas break, so merry Christmas to you (and all the others BTV users), and have a good time !

Pierrelo