SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Developer Network > Beyond TV Downloads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

[addon] DirecTV D10 Serial Cable Fix

Author: sharpmat007
Short Description: Fix for recent firmware update to DirectTV D10 receivers
Long Description: The recent update (release beginning June 2005) from DirectTV to the D10 receiver broke BeyondTV serial link and no longer changes channels. The following files will allow Snapstream to use Girder to change the channels.
Version Number: 1.0
Last Updated: 7/10/2005
Homepage:
Installation Instructions: Download and install Girder from promixis.com. Copy serial.dll and rca.ini to your girder\plugins directory. In Girder, Goto File->Settings and set "Generic Serial Support as the plugin and then click Settings. Select import and browse to rca.ini file. You may choose the com port the plugin uses.

Next goto File->Import group and select d10serial.gml. At this point you should be able to test the channels 0-9 in Girder and test channel changing on you directv receiver using "F5" key. Once connfirmed that Girder can change your channels then copy ssGirderTuner.dll to your Beyond Tv tuner directory(c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Snapstream\Beyond TV\tuner\. Open up Snapstream Beyond TV Setup Wizard and configure Girder Plugin as your tuner. d10serial.gml, serial.dll, rca.ini, ssGirderTuner.dll

Release Notes: serial.dll,rca.ini, and ssgirdertuner.dll are all original files downloaded from promixis site. d10serial.gml hex code information was obtained from a post on sage tv. This should work until directv changes the codes again that control your receiver.
License: No
Requirements: Girder/BeyondTV/Serial link cable

Download d10serial.GML
Download Serial.dll
Download RCA.ini
Download SSGirderTuner.dll

CODES:
Download D10-300.rmt - D10-300 USB UIRT codes

Last edited by DonK; 09-16-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:42 PM

Question Re: [addon] DirecTV D10 Serial Cable Fix

Help. I am working on this. I have been using BTV off a basic cable system for several months and recently upgraded to DirecTV. My BTV software is up to date as of today (I like the fix for jerky video).
I have 3 new D10-300 recievers (Aug 10th 2005). The low speed data port is cleverly hidden behind a black sticker.
Per your note, I purchased and installed Girder. Your note does not specify but the older Girder 3.3 is the correct choice since the 4.0 "Standard" is Beta and much changed. (Could have saved myself $20 here but that is water under the bridge.) I completed the installation to the point where I should be able to test channels 0-9. I explored Girder to the extent that I understand it is trying to send "FAA50000E7" to tell the D10 to go to channel 7 (for example). The D10-300 is not responding.
I verified that COM1 is enabled and that it is the actual physical connector port on the back of my cmptr. Note that I have the D10 driving SVideo into the TV so that I can see channels changing real time..if they change.
Hardware Questions:
1) Cable Verification: DB9F [5 = GND, 2 = RxD, 3 = TxD] to 4P4C [ 1 = GND, 2 = RxD, 4 = TxD]. The DB9F is labeled so there is no issue. The little modular jack is not labeled so I assumed cable exit left, clip down, pin 1 at the top. I have tried both ways so please verify.
2) Is the D10-300 special/deaf? I saw rumors in the SageTV forums that only the D10-100's work.

On the BTV3 side the Beyond TV directories that you quote don't quite match mine for some reason (I used defaults) but I have a copy of SSGirderTuner.dll in C:\Program Files\Snapstream Media\Beyond TV3\ right along side the XXXTuner.dll's provided by SnapStream. In a vain attempt to follow your note I also created a "tuner" directory in the All Users\Data\Snapstream\Beyond TV\ directory..to no avail. In the end, I was able to set up a complete DirecTV channel lineup with program guide data but I cannot select the Girder serial tuner. The intrinsic serial tuner is an option but, as you point out, it is broken.

BTV Software Question:
3) What could be preventing the Girder tuner from showing up as an option in the "tuner" level of the setup wizard.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:20 PM

Re: [addon] DirecTV D10 Serial Cable Fix

What does Girder say when you are testing. It should display information on the bottom of the window. Check the name of your rca.ini file and make sure it matches the name in the girder commands. Also make sure you have selected the correct com port in girder.

The tuner file should be placed in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SnapStream\Beyond TV\tuner. You have to check "show hidden folders" to see the Application Data folder. If you dont get girder working first this isnt going to either!
Old 08-13-2005, 07:27 PM

I built my cable correctly so I won't re-visit that. I opened the D10 box and reverse engineered the RS232 chip (ST202E) to verify. It is all hooked up. If this ever works, note that the design is robust and could support some very long cable.

COM1 is set in Girder. RCA is referenced. Girder thinks it sent something (message in the bottom left plust check of variables). I tried to "look" for TxD activity on the cable with my old DMM but I realized that is futile due to low bandwidth. I will need to borrow an O-scope from work tomorrow to verify. Kids have use of TV for the rest of the night.

In reviewing other related posts I see that the D10-300 of unknown mftr. is possibly useless. Per my suggestion, these boxes may be deaf or use extended codes that have not (yet) been documented. This problem stinks like e-security.

I will post how it turns out but, if it is a bust I would rather shop for an IR blaster than another DirecTV box.

Last edited by ggayowsky; 08-15-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:07 PM

O-Scope results:
The box did something interesting. It spewed data at me. Interestingly, the baud rate was NOT 9600 as per the RCA file. It was 19200 baud. I did not capture the whole message but the RS232 sequence seemed to follow the "one start bit, one stop bit, no parity, 8 bits per word" format. I decoded the message to make sure.
For reference an RS232 message is shifted out lsb first for each 8 bit word. Since voltages are +/-7V or so I use the P for positive, N for negative convention. To make matters more confusing, a positive P voltage means logic zero. Knowing this the sequence I captured was: "P/PPPP.PNPP/NP/PPPP.PNPP/NP/NPNP.NPNP/NP/...."
This maps into hex: "Start/0.2/StopStart/0.2/StopStart/A.A/StopStart/...."
And the message is: "2020AA..." hex.
I changed Girder serial to 19200 baud to match and tried sending the channel code "6". What I Girder says it is sending is "FAA50000E6". What I captured on the scope was:
"P/PNPN.NNNN/NP/NPNP.PNPN/NP/PPPP.PPPP/NP/PPPP.PPPP/NP/PNNP/P"
This maps into hex:
"Start/A.F/StopStart/5.A/StopStart/0.0/StopStart/0.0/StopStart/6/Stop"
And the message sent is "FAA500006" with the "E" missing. I tried this with all the [0,9] and found the "E" missing from all the messages. I don't understand this. Messages were sent but the D10-300 did not respond either via RS232 or by changing a channel.

On the BTV side, Girder did finally appear when I put the .dll in the right (hidden?) tuner directory. So I ran the setup wizard to see if it would work. During the setup portion where it is supposed to attempt channel changes, nothing happened. The RS232 port was completely inactive. Regardless of message format BTV does not seem to be communicating with Girder (within tuner setup). I later followed through with the wizard to the part where you can view video and change channels. BTV did send serial data so the Girder link worked. Also, from BTV proper attempting to change channels through the program guide pushed data onto the serial cable. The box did not respond.

New Questions:
  1. What happened to my "E"? This could be relevant as to why Girder cannot change the channels independant of BTV.
  2. Why can't BTV talk to Girder during tuner setup?
My conclusions so far:
  1. If we had the right serial sequences, Girder could be used to tune the D10-300.
  2. The 19200 baud could be a clue to the mftr. No one likes to change their tools. If we knew the mftr. then we might be able to guess the channel changing codes.
  3. If someone has some insight, I am willing to punch codes with Girder and monitor the results on an O-scope.

Last edited by ggayowsky; 08-16-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:19 AM

Some insight from reading the TiVo forumhttp://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...8&page=8&pp=30

The suggestion is that the D10-100 works by punching the same codes in the serial port as you use through IR. It is worth trying this on the D10-300 using the correct baud rate.

If someone has recorded these codes from a D10-300 while setting up a USB-UIRT please post.

Why bother? The reason that people like the serial port is that it is typically more reliable than IR.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:54 AM

I'm trying this solution using Girder 3.3. I've followed instructions, but when I start Girder I see this message "Old plugin found; C:\Program Files\girder\Plugins\SSGirderTuner.dll , you downloaded the incorrect version please make sure that you get the Girder 3.2 compatible version of this plugin."

Where can I get the appropriate version of either Girder or SSGirderTuner.dll?

Thanks,
David
Old 08-22-2005, 08:21 AM

Sharpmat007's link "worked" for me on the software side. In case the source changed I am trying to attach it. FYI there is lots of evidence that this works for the D10-100 but I am convinced a small hardware modification will be required for the D10-300 before it submits. I will keep you posted.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RCA.zip (74.1 KB, 316 views)
Old 08-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to PBMax Send a message via AIM to PBMax Send a message via Yahoo to PBMax

I hate to hijack this thread but if this fix is too difficult for you try out.

Just download the attached file and unzip it to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SnapStream\Beyond TV\tuner\Serial_Codes. Run the setup wizard and choose Serial Cable and then select "DirecTV D10 Satellite" as the tuner. This should correctly tune the box without the need for girder.

This file can be added to any build of Beyond TV after 3.5.3.

Get the file here:
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/show...7&postcount=75
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ | Motherboard: ASUS A8N-VM | RAM: 1GB DDR400 | Tuner: Hauppauge PVR500 | Graphics card: Onboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150 | Sound Card: Onboard ADI AD1986A via SPDIF | Hard Drives(1040GB Total): 1x Seagate 40GB - 4x Maxtor 250GB | Samsung 16x DL DVD+-R | Display: Panasonic PT-50LC13 50" LCD RPTV HDTV via HD15 | OS: Windows XP Pro SP-2 | Wireless Keyboard and Mouse | Remote: FireFly
Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 AM

I did originally try the Serial solution but it seemed to fail for the D10-300. I did not try too hard since the forums seemed to indicate that only the D10-100's would work. I was not aware that BTV had come to some agreement with DirecTV about the codes. I will give it another whirl and post if it works.

08/23/05 pm: got home and tried the new improved serial tuner does not appear to work with the D10-300. The D10 support does appear in the BTV setup as promised but it fails to change channels. I will bring the O-Scope home again tomorrow and see what evil hath been wrought.

Last edited by ggayowsky; 08-23-2005 at 05:28 PM. Reason: better information
Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 PM

I read IR bit streams from the D10-300 remote using an O-scope. The binary stream lacks the asynchronous serial communications structure (start and stop bits) that is typical of data generated by COM ports. Note that the demodulated baud rate is low, about 1675 bps. The IR signal itself is modulated at something near 40kHz. If you hold down a remote key the pattern repeats itself with about 30mS spacing.

I tried converting the binary stream to HEX and sending it to the data port (Girder) but failed to illicit any response from the box. The fact that the data port has chirped at me tells me that it is not disabled but it speaks a different language.

If someone knows how to interpret these codes, do tell. See the attached file.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IR_STREAM.pdf (8.4 KB, 309 views)
Old 09-16-2005, 02:58 PM

A TiVo post indicates that DirecTV has relented and is pushing a firmware upgrade that lets TiVo users serial tune their D10-300's. I have not seen the upgrade on my boxes yet. DirecTV instructed me to plug in the phone line. We'll see what happens. In the mean time, SnapStream fully supports the USB UIRT option. I bought one, hooked it up and found that it worked first try. Unlike serial tuning, IR has the down side that every box viewing the light follows the commands. My PVR box is under a cloth with the UIRT.

I will look for the captured codes and see if something can be done via the serial port but I doubt that there will be any serial tuning until I see a firmware change.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:44 PM

Just an FYI my serial port now works on my D10-300
Old 10-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to PBMax Send a message via AIM to PBMax Send a message via Yahoo to PBMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthony
Which fix did you try with your D10-300?
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ | Motherboard: ASUS A8N-VM | RAM: 1GB DDR400 | Tuner: Hauppauge PVR500 | Graphics card: Onboard NVIDIA GeForce 6150 | Sound Card: Onboard ADI AD1986A via SPDIF | Hard Drives(1040GB Total): 1x Seagate 40GB - 4x Maxtor 250GB | Samsung 16x DL DVD+-R | Display: Panasonic PT-50LC13 50" LCD RPTV HDTV via HD15 | OS: Windows XP Pro SP-2 | Wireless Keyboard and Mouse | Remote: FireFly
Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthony
What revision does your box show. I seem to be stuck at "2a" with no past or scheduled changes in view.

Update Oct. 21st, 2005: DirecTV pushed the upgrade so my serial port now also works. The changes are pretty dramatic in terms of guide layout so you will know when the change hits. The updated D10 serial tuner from Snapstream works. As far as I can tell, all D10's (100, 200, 300's) all use the same serial interface now. This means that you now have the choice of USB-UIRT or RS232. I am keeping my USB-UIRT in case DirecTV has another change of plan.

Last edited by ggayowsky; 11-01-2005 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Update Information

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: