SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Developer Network > Development Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
l33t Beta Tester

Send a message via AIM to Brett
Game Library v1.0 Preview...

Hello folks,

Just a heads up to any of those browsing. As you may have figured from the title (or through other sources), myself and Jason are nearing completion of Game Library v1.0.

Game Library runs off several new parsers and a modified DVD Library frontend with advance filtering, and organization for multiple systems. Plus, it works in a similar way to DVD library, so no need to provide the data, the plugin does it mostly automatically.

Here is a screenshot from an earlier version of Game Library. We expect a public release sometime near the end of this week if all testing goes well. It is being tested (and is verified to work) with MAME, NES, SNES, N64, and GENESIS emulators. If you have further system request, please submit them here.

Start prepping those feature request list...

-Brett
Attached Images

MSN Messenger for BM: Add MSN Messenger to BM. Includes MSN notifications over any module, and a chat client!

PIN Plugin for BM: Add PIN protection to any module in BM, including the settings!

BTV Recorded Shows: Brings the BTV Recording Library into BM with full show details.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Re: Game Library v1.0 Preview...

On second thought, don't send in your feature requests, Brett asks for enough stuff on his own.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:24 PM

one emulator that my be cool to add is the dega emulator,
it emulates the sega master system
Old 03-28-2005, 08:38 PM
l33t Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn
Hmm... I guess we forgot about the master system . Originally, I know we sketched it out as one of the default systems, interesting... I'll look to see if I can get this to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrsat
Brett asks for enough stuff on his own.
Yeah well if you worked a little harder, I wouldn't have to be so demanding J/k. But yeah come to think of it we are covered for "feature" request, what we really need now are "favorite" emulators.

-Brett

MSN Messenger for BM: Add MSN Messenger to BM. Includes MSN notifications over any module, and a chat client!

PIN Plugin for BM: Add PIN protection to any module in BM, including the settings!

BTV Recorded Shows: Brings the BTV Recording Library into BM with full show details.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The overall design can support any platform and any emulator. Its just a matter of what ones come setup to roll right out the door with minimal effort from the user.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:48 PM

Here's the current systems and Emulators I currently have setup with myHTPC.

Arcade/Mame - Mame32
Gameboy/Gameboy Advance - Virtual Boy Advance
Genesis/SegaCD/32X - Gens
Nintendo - Nnnesterj
SuperNES - ZSNES

I've played around with N64 a bit, but my Matrox G400 really doesnt have enough oomph to be able to play them on my HTPC. I really need to talk to my wife about investing in some new HTPC stuff.. Like Beyond Media, another Tuner, a new Video card.. etc Let me know if you'd like me to post the command line options I use with each of the emulators, i've got them all running fullscreen with Gamepad/Joystick support.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 PM

one idea.

would it be possible in a later version of the plugin, to bundle in all of the emulators as a zip as part of the plugin? or maybe create another downloadable file with the emulators attached. this will save people the trouble of finding them.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:44 AM
l33t Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathos42
Let me know if you'd like me to post the command line options I use with each of the emulators, i've got them all running fullscreen with Gamepad/Joystick support.
Yes, if you post request for emulators, it will greatly help (and increase the chance of it happening) if you include the fullscreen parameters. We are testing Fusion, Mame32?, FCEU, Project64, SNES9x. I'll try others, but by default there can only be 1 per system, so I'l go with whichever one *performs* best.

Quote:
Would it be possible in a later version of the plugin, to bundle in all of the emulators as a zip as part of the plugin? or maybe create another downloadable file with the emulators attached. this will save people the trouble of finding them.
One thing we may do is include links in the release notes to the default emulators, although I have not finalized this yet, or discussed it with Jason. I highly doubt we'll release a zip that includes the emulators though. Sorry, there are just to many issues with packaging others software.

-Brett

Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 PM

WOW, YES! This is one of the final pieces of the HTPC puzzle that I have been waiting to get in Beyond Media (besides DVB support in Beyond TV, heh).

3 things I would soooo greatly appreciate.....

1. An option to use a different emulator (or additional ones) than you have hardcoded, as well as specify the command line options. Why, you ask? If you put the information in an xml file that I can edit then I can add other emulators, or use different ones, or use options that I wanted to have.

2. An option that for each game (rom) I can specify some specific command line options for that game if needed.

3. A generic option that allows me to launch regular PC games and see them in this consolidated "Menu" of games. So, instead of launching an emulator with appropriate rom, a specific game that I loaded on the HTPC is launched. This could be more of an "unsupported" option, due to possible integration issues with the unknown variables of some games. It would be great to see just one big list of games, even if that means making my own screenshots or whatever for the "covers" of the PC games (since those would be manually configured game entries anyway), and having to manually edit an xml or whatever.

I know you said to hold off on ideas, but I can't resist this one!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:15 PM

Just one request. Please don't leave out atari emulation! I don't know much as far as command line info for this emulator goes, but my favorite would have to be stella. Keep up the great work, I am eager to see what comes of this.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Since Brett likes to gloss over this, I'll do my best to make it clear.

Every platform/emulator is stored in an xml file that is fully editable by the user. Every bit of its execution is in that xml file. So if you don't like the name or the particular emulator that's currently present, change it. If you want a platform that isn't there, add it.

I'm going to do my best to include a default entry for every platform I can think of. This will require your individual effort of filling in actual emulator info for some platforms.

So let me try to make this crystal clear. When Brett says the following X, Y, and Z emulators are tested, it just happens to mean those are the ones that have actually been checked to work. You are free to change them to whatever you like.

He's going for trying to make it "easy" and "friendly," and hence the inclusion of default information that "works" for a few platform/emulator combos. However, the flexibility to do whatever you want with it is present.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:19 PM
l33t Beta Tester

Yeah, I guess I should have been clearer . Its all editable, I was just noting platforms I have tested on my own pc. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is hardcoded in terms of the platforms or games.

One question about the comment about individual command line arguments for games. Why would you need this? What functionality does it serve? The code already supports *obviously* global command line arguments on a per system basis, but I am curious how it would be useful on a per game basis.

As for the launching of generic PC games, that is not yet supported. But I have an idea of how I could get it implemented, and I just verified that atleast one source we already parse supports the coverart for PC games. So maybe a version 1.1 feature .

-Brett

Old 03-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Individual game command line arguments is in my plan. Brett must have missed that note in one of my emails.

It'll be present in the first release, no worries.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:41 PM

You guys rock!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:26 PM
l33t Beta Tester

To test how flexible the code actually is, I modified the xml file tonight (took about 5 minutes) and added a PC games option. Now if you want to add a PC game to the library simply drop a shortcut link in the default folder (c:\games\pc) and it automatically works and gets the game info, no setup required.

It works by using explorer to launch the shortcut, currently this presents one minor annoyance (a security warning) but I'm sure we will figure out a way around that issue.

Attached is another teaser...

-Brett
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: