SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forums > Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2004, 01:51 AM

Lightbulb Beyond TV 3.5.1 Two scheduled recordings back-to-back, 2nd fails to start

Problem:
After a scheduled recording completes, there are 1-2 minutes of uninterrupted disk activity, which prevents the start of a recording that was scheduled immediately after the first one. This occurred even though automatic ShowSqueeze was disabled.

What fixed it for me was to enable ShowSqueeze Constraints and set its time window to the shortest period possible, at a time of day I'm unlikely to have any recordings scheduled.

I don't use automatic ShowSqueeze, so my goal is to have the ShowSqueeze mechanism do as little processing is possible. In Beyond TV 3.4, the best strategy for this seemed to be to disable automatic ShowSqueeze, enable Constraints, and set its processing window for 23 hours a day. The idea behind this was that when a show ended, it would immediately begin postprocessing, discover that there was absolutely nothing to do, and quit.

Beyond TV 3.5.1 seems (?) to work a bit differently. Even if ShowSqueeze is disabled, the postprocessing appears to do something that requires this 1-2 minutes of disk activity, as long as the constraints allow it, even though there's nothing for it to do. If the constraints prohibit it, it also prevents this disk activity, whatever it is, from starting at all.

I'm not sure I got this right, but it did seem to fix it.

At first I thought the disk activity might have something to do with antivirus software trying to scan my 3.2GB timeshift buffer, but changing the ShowSqueeze constraints fixed the problem, without any special antivirus reconfiguration.

Last edited by stevewh; 12-15-2004 at 01:55 AM.