SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Developer Network > Beyond TV Downloads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:07 PM

Re: [addon] MediaMVP w/BTV (Apr 5 Update)

Thanks Jason for being a pioneer and getting this started. That's what makes a good community when we can build on each other success.

Anyway, I re-posted the installer here and will post it at our sourceforge.net webpage in the next day or so.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mvpbtv
Old 08-24-2006, 12:13 AM

Hi,

Here's some early impressions after downloading your latest release with the css file fixed. I experienced similar results as others with the font and screen so the new version has corrected it.

First - thanks RomanoJ so much for taking this to the next level. This is a major, major release.

- installer - Worked flawlessy - minor suggestion for us Canadians - can you put a web link where to find the weather codes on the page that prompts you for it.
- Live TV worked. Yahoo! The first time I did experience some stuttering, and then it went back to the time schedule on it's own a couple of times. After pressing volume change, behind the volume display 1 line of what appears to be show details comes up for a few seconds. Another time, the 2 line display showed up and the entire show details appeared for a few seconds. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the 1 line example only showed volume level, not show length. This occured when I did not pause at all, and it was in real time mode you could say. I would say show details are not needed.
Fast forward caused the picture to be cut in 1/2 with different scenes after a pause. Works great otherwise. I did not test setting up recordings yet.
- photo's - I don't know if this is problem's root cause is the MediaMVP software (I used the version you suggested), but several times when selecting folders with 47 files, the MediaMVP would cycle through to the blue screen with finding server
- weather - worked fine, no issues
- overall performance - I don't know if it is combination of MediaMVP software upgrade, your sw + BTV4.4 version, but I have almost instantaneous response now when selecting menu's, changing playing modes - stop, fforward, skip. This is much more useable and the wife and kids won't get frustrated anymore.
- license error message - Not version specific - this issue occured in previous versions also (I have run the app for the last 10 months), but after different periods of running time (MediaMVP on), an error pops up about licensing, and I end up having to stop and start BTV to correct. restarting MediaMVP does not help. The PC has the regular MS error message about sending data about the problem also. This is on Windows XP with SP2. Is it possible to have this software run Without BTV running?

That's it after testing for a few hours tonight. Thanks again for this major improvement.

Cheers,

Eddy
Old 08-25-2006, 07:52 AM

This is very impressive and intriguing. Intriguing because I've been meaning to add a few BTV Link machines around the house since my wife wants her BTV everywhere, but I didn't like the idea of having PCs all over the place. What I'm reading sounds too good to be true... but it defies the old saying by really being true.

Do I need to buy a BTV Link license to make the MediaMVP/BTVSkin work with BTV? FastEddy mentions a licensing error...

I think SnapStream should hire Romanoj to make this an official SS supported product. I'd hate to see this being abandoned again...
Old 08-25-2006, 08:02 AM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP

Do I need to buy a BTV Link license to make the MediaMVP/BTVSkin work with BTV? FastEddy mentions a licensing error...
I read in another post somewhere that you do have to have a link license to be "legal" but I don't know if not having one will affect its operation.

I don't own an MVP yet but this is pushing me in that direction. The only thing missing is a DVD player on the MVP. All my inputs are full on my TV so I want to use where the DVD is attached and not lose the DVD. I am thinking about attaching the MVP to an input on one of the VCRs but that doesn't pass the WAF. WAF is already low on my entertainment centre because she's not technical.
Corsair 4GB DDR2-5400
OS-300GB EIDE XPPro|BTV4.8.2/DVD/VideoRedo
Data-8 TB internal
Backup-3.4 TB external via USB
7 Tuners-Diamond 600|2-Hauppauge 150|Saber 2020|Adaptec 3610
STB SA3250 HD|USB-UIRT
Mobile-Zen VisionW|TecraS2-Firefly-XPPro-BTV4.8.2
TV Link PC-Compaq D500-P4 1.7-512MB RAM-20GB OS/500GB-xfx6200-Firefly-BTV 4.8.2-BM 1.1-XPPro
TV-LG-60PC1D

Last edited by pvrguy; 08-25-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:06 AM

All you need is an MediaMVP unit, a LAN cable (there is a wireless setup available) and either an S-Video or an RGB wire to the TV.

Like your self, I wasn't prepared to build two more computers just for a LINK setup. This is way more pratical and a lot cheaper, IMHO.

BTW, it works great. I was really impressed witht the quality of the picture and it's just as easy to use as regular BTV (except I still can't get the live TV part to work). We only use it to watch our recorded shows.
Win XP Pro sp2, BTV461, BM1.1 MSI K8N NEO2 (MS-7025) MoBo, AMD 64 3000+, 1gb RAM, (2)Hauppage PVR-250, RADEON 9600XT, (2)120GB Maxtor HD, (2)200GB Maxtor SATA HD, Cavalier desktop, Firefly, MyBlaster, 2XStarchoice(DSR405 & DSR400).
Client 1
Hauppauge MediaMVP.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrguy
I read in another post somewhere that you do have to have a link license to be "legal"
I would assume if SnapStream is allowing this conversation and the use of this plugin that it's okay. Did SS say anything about this before?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:43 AM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP
I would assume if SnapStream is allowing this conversation and the use of this plugin that it's okay. Did SS say anything about this before?
Well, since some SS personel have been responding lately, perhaps they will answer the question.
Corsair 4GB DDR2-5400
OS-300GB EIDE XPPro|BTV4.8.2/DVD/VideoRedo
Data-8 TB internal
Backup-3.4 TB external via USB
7 Tuners-Diamond 600|2-Hauppauge 150|Saber 2020|Adaptec 3610
STB SA3250 HD|USB-UIRT
Mobile-Zen VisionW|TecraS2-Firefly-XPPro-BTV4.8.2
TV Link PC-Compaq D500-P4 1.7-512MB RAM-20GB OS/500GB-xfx6200-Firefly-BTV 4.8.2-BM 1.1-XPPro
TV-LG-60PC1D
Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 AM

My mediamvp / btv combo required the link license.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:58 AM
SnapStream Tech Support

The MVP becomes a Link client -- Thus requires the license.

If you are just using the MVP with it's server app -- then its not.

Simple as that.

BTV Test Server: P4 2.8Ghz | 1GB | 200 GB Storage | HVR 1600 | BTV 4.x | WinXP SP2

Link PC1: P4 2.6 GHz | 512MB | 40GB Storage| ATI 6800 | Envy24 SPDIF | FireFly RF | BTV Link 4.9.2 | Win7

Link PC2: T2330 1.6GHz | 2GB | 160GB Storage| Intel 950 | Realtek HD | BTV Link 4.9.2 | Win7
Old 08-26-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanoj
That's it. I hope someone can try this and let me know how it works. It worked well for me. I erased everything and followed the above procedure. If it's good for others, I'll post it on our sourceforge site. Again, I did not test PAL so I'm not sure how well that will work. Plus, I know non-english images will be kind of messed up too.
I tried this version, and it worked well for me except for Live TV. Various errors getting to the guide, and when I did get the guide, choosing a channel usually results in an Automation Error, failed to generate object. Subsequent attempts at live TV after this error result in a too many connections, try again later message. I am using BTV 4.4 (build 3368) with MediaMVP 3.2.24125b.

Just to follow up, I downgraded to MediaMVP 3.0.24088 with no luck in terms of Live TV. Still gives the automatation error. Line 2740 of the guide.html file has something to do with a creating an ActiveX object. I tried disabling the firewall on the mediamvp server and turning down the internet zone security settings, but still nothing. If someone has another answer, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by jihaddon; 08-26-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:02 PM

The Guide.html file uses an ActiveX DLL named MVPMedHelp.dll. It is supposed to auto register but perhaps it didn't. I think the error message you list is related to automation of com object (activeX dll activation). Try to register this DLL manually by typing :

regsvr32 c:\program files\Hauppauge MediaMVP\MVPMedHelp.dll

in a DOS command line or under Start-> Run option.

Let me know if this works or if you get an error message.

I have some other ideas as well.

Last edited by romanoj; 08-26-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 PM

I recently upgraded to BTV 4 and was having some problems. I found this thread and was thrilled to discover that the BTV skin project wasn't completely dead. I have been using it since near the beginning.

I downloaded and installed the latest version that was attached to this thread and wanted to point out a problem that I ran into, so that others will know what went wrong if they see it.

I was getting a message during the installation that said that some files were not found and that I might get black screens. I did get black screens. The problem was that my install directory for BTV was "Beyond TV 3" instead of "Beyond TV". I corrected this during a reinstall and everything including LiveTV is working find.

Thanks for the greate Skin.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:43 PM

BNFlarety,

You mentioned that the MVP can become a link client. In this config, does it look like the BTV4 landscape? If so, then I can use the smartskip feature via my MVP.

Thanks,

KAS...
Old 08-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
the MVP can become a link client.
Not exactly. The whole thing is complicated. The MediaMVP uses BTV webservices to get guide info, upcoming recordings, show details, etc. just like BTV link but it's quite different. The problem is that you are still limited to what Hauppauge's firmware would allow in functionality. The MediaMVP currently only lets you jump in fixed intervals. Even if we could get the skin to be aware of smartskip locations, it could not command the MediaMVP to skip the desired amount.

Finally, the playback of shows (i.e. the streaming of the mpeg file) is using the Hauppuage MediaMVP service so once a program is selected, it is not using BTV at all. BTV is literally the info behind the skin but the Hauppauge software is the driver of the skin and playback. If that makes any sense.

This is why the whole license thing is not so black and white.

Finally, I think I know why LiveTV is not working for some folks. It has to do with the ActiveX dll used to lookup the filename. I would like one or two people who are getting the automation error to write me a private message and I have some things for them to try. If it works, then others can copy.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:51 AM

After I upgraded to BTV 4, I started running into this problem of the WebService failing on the License Key. I will work sometimes for days and then get the error. I have been restarting the PC to get rid of the problem. I never had this problem for over a year using BTV 3.

I entered in my License key number for BTV 4.

Does anyone know what is causing this?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: