SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2004, 01:28 AM

mpg2srt

removed. mail me if you want it.

Last edited by merrypig; 07-01-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 AM

Smile Re: mpg2srt: ver 0.3 (beta) released

I just wanted to show my support for this program. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. It may finally let me deploy this to the family.

Thank you very much, merrypig.

If you need/want/would like any help with this, lemme know. I'll be happy to help!

BTW, I'm actually a SageTV user, but since NOBODY supports timeshifted CC's then I have to take my successes where I find them.

Again... GREAT WORK!!

Old 05-14-2004, 05:26 PM

Re: mpg2srt: ver 0.3 (beta) released

I haven't done much testing with it, so I'm not aware of any bugs. The only thing I would change from .3 is make the debug info switchable. There are times when it could come in handy.

Eventually I would like to see positioning added, but right now it doesn't matter because VSFilter doesn't support positioning in .SRT files. Gabest says that it may eventually support it, but not yet.

Personally, I like that it's a console program. It makes automating it that much easier. And, I don't know if you know it, but if you have the program in the same directory as the .mpg then you can drag and drop the mpg onto the exe and it starts right up.

Again, great work!!!

BTW, what language did you write this in? I'm a C++ programmer myself.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:26 PM

I LIKE seeing the debug information. But that is me, I like to see what is going on. I had some problems with one of my cards imbeding the CC but the other 2 not and being able to see the debug saved me a lot of time. Like I said, it could come in handy so I wouldn't want you to get rid of it, just make it switchable.

I like the way that you implemeted paint on captions. Very creative! Unfortunately, my VSFilter doesn't handle it too well. The sync goes way off and most of the time the captions aren't even displayed. Since that method of caption exists to get the captions on the screen as quickly as possible (i.e. during a commercial) we don't have to worry about it. Maybe we could set the start time for when the first character would display and set the end time when it's time to go to the next line or the timeout (whichever is sooner).

BTW, have I said thanks or great job? JIC, thank you and GREAT WORK!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:44 AM
l33t Member

Question Re: mpg2srt: ver 0.3 (beta) released

Warning: noob questions will follow

What is this? What is SRT file format? Why is the sky blue?

HTPC Server:
|GA-EP35-DS4|Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450|4GB DDRam|300GB SATA System Drive|600GB SATA Recordings Drive (stripe)|PVR-500 (x2)|HDHomeRun|ATI Radeon HD 3600|Sharp Aquos 37" HDTV|Harmony 890 Remote|

CHECK IT OUT!
Old 05-17-2004, 08:40 AM

If it does become obsolete, I'd still use it. My wife is a spanish speaker and I can run the .srt through a translation and then she can watch the show. (CSI doesn't broadcast spanish on Charter )

Heck, I'd even pay for it!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:12 AM

Great program, I can't thank you enough. My hearing is getting much worse as I get older and your tool is invaluable to me.

First off, I'll confess two things:
1) I'm totally new to using CC files, my only experience is with overseas anime OGMs.
2) I'm a SageTV user.

I have some questions for you. I noticed that the CC is built up letter by letter on playback. Rather than what I'm used to on TV, where each line is being fully drawn and then moved or erased for the next complete line of text. I looked at the generated CC files and can see why. I did some very primitive hacking of the CC file so that the incomplete sections were deleted. Of course I had to update the end time stamp of the first line before the section I deleted to change it to the last timestamp of the last section deleted. I repeated this process to remove all sections with incomplete lines. Did that make since?

Anyway, the result was that I got a complete line displayed that stayed onscreen until the next complete line was drawn. Is it possible for you to add a switch for mpg2srt to output the CC file already formatted in this manner? It makes the CC much easier to read, IMHO.

I'm not sure if all the neccassary info for this is included in the mpeg2 stream, but it seems that since my TV displays it this way it should be possible. Given that a TV is so dumb compared to a computer.

Is this something you can add to a future release? Or am I totally ignorant of a setting that would cause the VSfilter to not build lines letter by letter?

Huge thanks. I can't wait to see your next release.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:26 AM
l33t Member

Quote:
And don't worry, we'll gladly overlook your sage affliction =)
To hell I say! Draw and quarter him!

HTPC Server:
|GA-EP35-DS4|Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450|4GB DDRam|300GB SATA System Drive|600GB SATA Recordings Drive (stripe)|PVR-500 (x2)|HDHomeRun|ATI Radeon HD 3600|Sharp Aquos 37" HDTV|Harmony 890 Remote|

CHECK IT OUT!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:05 AM
l33t Member

Lol!!! Do It!!! Lol!!!

HTPC Server:

CHECK IT OUT!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:37 PM

I noticed the flashing as well in cerian areas. A fix for that would be great. Also gled to hear you can accomodate, and actually anticipated, my request(about having a fully drawn line displayed). I guess it's just part of the genius enherrent in all BTV users. Have fun diving.

Seriously, thanks for the warm welcome, from everyone. I've said it before, in the Frey forums, and it's still true. There are a LOT of great(kind and knowledgable) people over here at the BTV forums. Believe it or not I like the forum environment here, a lot. I mostly browse, but rarely post, since I usually have nothing to contribute.

Quote:
To hell I say! Draw and quarter him!
To draw and quater me, you have to find me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: