SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Product Discussions > Firefly PC Remote
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2004, 12:51 PM

Firefly software demo & improvements

Trying to install the Firefly software demo, but it requires that I go through the configuration process, which requires me to plug in the Firefly device.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to demo the software UI w/o buying the Remote?

- J

Last edited by jip; 05-05-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Well, that software download isn't really intended as demonstration of the Firefly software... it IS the Firefly software.

To get a better idea of what the Firefly software is all about, check out this tour:

http://www.snapstream.com/Products/firefly/
(click on Product Tour on the right)

I think there is a loophole (I'm not sure if we'll plug this later, but I think it works for now) where you can edit the Firefly.xml in C:\Documents and Settings\all users\Application Data\SnapStream\Firefly and change the <Setup Completed="False" /> to <Setup Completed="True" />. This will allow you to skip the setup process and check out Beyond Media Basic. If it helps you decide to buy one, why not!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to djkothbauer Send a message via Yahoo to djkothbauer
Cool, it worked. I had to create the file though before it would work. Will there be a discount to upgrade to the full version of Beyond Media for users buying the remote?
Old 05-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Yes, there will almost certainly be a discount for Firefly owners to the upgrade to Beyond Media.

P.S. glad it worked for you... what did you think of the software?
Old 05-02-2004, 06:03 PM

Interface looks pretty good.
When I set the Video and Music buttons to use Beyond Video Basic and Beyond Music Basic, and I click on these buttons in the main menu to try and launch this, it gives me this error:

Beyond Media Basic has encountered an unexpected error and needs to shut down, We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It doesnt actually shut down the program, but every time I clickI get this error, am I missing somthing?
Old 05-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
am I missing somthing?
Yes, a Firefly PC Remote.

What I'm guessing happened is that you skipped the setup process and by doing so, none of the necessary XML files were created. So it's crashing out in the absence of those XML files.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:26 PM

Good point....I thought that might be a problem after I posted that message.
Well, it was fun to play around with before I get the remote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:17 PM

Re: Firefly software demo

Thanks for providing the work around.

Beyond Media Basic has the right idea, but I don't think it is a lot of usability improvements in order to qualify for a HTPC application.

Here are a few items that need a little bit of improvement.

1. When launching other applications to run various media formats, the user should not see what applications is running "under the hood". The user experience needs to be similar to BTV. The look and feel needs to be like BTV if you are planning to have an integrated solution.

2. When browsing through the music files for example, it looks too much like I am traversing through a PC file system (like using Windows Explorer). Maybe you guys can order and present the music similar to the Program Guide look and feel from BTV somehow, and integrate that user experience into the whole Beyond Media (Basic). The BTV UI and usability is excellent and has improved over each version.

3. Clicking on each Item opens up a new window, which cause a minor delay. Is it necessary to open a new window for each "Music" "Photos", "DVD", etc...?

4. Is there a way to designate which folders are used for the specific media types? The user should not be able to traverse all over the file system and only be contained within a set of directories. Maybe contain the user from going outside a directory tree.

4.5 Support of password protected folders. For those who want to keep some media files private.

5. It would be nice to be able to let the user stick in a music CD and ask the BM to add the music to the library. This allows any one in my house hold to add a new CD to the libray w/o having me to rip it for them into MP3 format.

6. For those who have lots of DVDs and disk space. I would also like to be able to add DVDs to the library as well (somehow integrating DVDdecrypter to rip DVDs into the system and archive it that way).

7. Would be nice to support streaming of Music files from Beyond Media to other networked devices. Ie. If I am using my wireless laptop, it would be nice to get to a webpage and choose the music files(s) I like to stream.

Keep up the good work. I hope you can consider some of my suggestions on the non-basic version. Looking forward to seeing a more integrated solution.

Thanks
- J
Old 05-22-2004, 12:30 PM

The "loophole" doesn't seem to work anymore to check out the software. There is no Firefly.xml file in the referenced folder, The software is pretty much the main reason I would I would buy the Firefly as I already have a Remote Wonder. Wanted a way to check it out before I bought the remote.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:01 PM
I am Canadian

Quote:
The "loophole" doesn't seem to work anymore to check out the software. There is no Firefly.xml file in the referenced folder,
If you read a little further, you will find out that the file does not actually exist and you must create it for the "loophole" to work ... if they haven't closed it.

I haven't done it since the original posting, but I can't imagine closing the loophole was high on the priority list.

Create the file and see !
Old 05-26-2004, 08:20 AM

loophole still working...
PVR-250
Server 2003
Old 06-05-2004, 05:52 AM

Yes, but installing it takes out your ATI Remote Wonder. I got my "demo" of "Beyond Media Lite", but at a cost.

SS has made a registry change or something which keeps the ATI's driver from running, and I've yet to find it. Uninstalling Firefly and reinstalling the ATI remote drivers did nothing to right things...
Old 06-05-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREMANN
Yes, but installing it takes out your ATI Remote Wonder. I got my "demo" of "Beyond Media Lite", but at a cost.

SS has made a registry change or something which keeps the ATI's driver from running, and I've yet to find it. Uninstalling Firefly and reinstalling the ATI remote drivers did nothing to right things...
I ran into the same problem, however, my ATI continue to work even though when I run the Setup Wizard for Beyond TV, it doesn't recognize that the remote is installed.

- J

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: