SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forums > Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2004, 11:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to MonsterHTPC Send a message via AIM to MonsterHTPC Send a message via Yahoo to MonsterHTPC
Re: Setting up BTV

Did you do the rest of the Hauppauge driver installs?

Here is what I normally do, and pretty much straight from the Hauppauge page.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support_pvr250-350.html

new systems you don't need to clear the drivers, but if its an older system with other drivers download and run the HCWCLEAR program to clear the old drivers.

Next download and install PVR250 18A INF.ZIP. Mostly just go under your hardware profiles area, find the unrecognized hauppauge card and right click then update hardware, navigate to that directory if it doesn't find the files automatically, IE the directory all the INF files were unziped to.

Then download and run the PVR250_18_22170.exe file to update drivers.

Next I download and install the hcwsmd04_21154.exe file which is the intervideo decoders. I only download the WinTV application if I have problems with the hardware and need to test it outside of BTV.

But that is what I do and in that order.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 AM

Thanks

I guess it helps to follow instructions. I had installed everything earlier, except the Intervideo Decoder, so I just assumed it's installer would run without reinstalling the two driver applications. Anyway, it's in now and there is definite improvement.

I still see some undesirable artifacts in both Live TV and recordings. These are generally motion (panning) related. I have seen descriptions of similar problems in this thread and am trying to wade through some of this stuff and figure out what additional corrective action is available.

I am fairly confident that the S-Video TV out from my ATI 9600 card is good, because I get excellent playback in PowerDVD. I realize the DVD playback is higher quality than what comes off the PVR 250 card or a BTV MPEG-2 file, but my hypothesis is that the video card and TV setup up are good. Guess I need to start playing with the registry hacks.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:05 PM

I did a little more experimentation. Changing the various interlace options, etc. and no joy. I tried some of the registry hacks and these led to 1) unstable run and 2) no measurable improvement in the motion background flicker or strobe that I am seeing. The sharpness adjustment did improve the picture some.

I ran the same MPEG clip outside of BTV, using PowerDVD, on a true computer monitor and saw some of the same artifacts. At this point, I'm thinking that my problem, must be in my recordng options, rather than an interlace or decoder issue. I never see this stuff with a commercial DVD playback, which makes me think that the video card and all it's associated sw is configured properly.

I tried recording with your 3.25 gig settings and the picture is very good, but still with some background motion problems. Maybe I should go back to some VBR settings and try something else.

Since you are using an ATI 9600 card and the 250 PVR, I was hoping you had a combination that you liked. I am taking mine to S-video TV out. The ATI control panel has "flicker" compensation maxed out. I am running the 480x600 32 color resolution at 60 Hz.

The PC is a P4 and has HT. I've seen that blamed in some of these threads for a variety of problems. It's also running XP SP2, which also seems to be the urban legend root of all problems.

On the plus side the picture quality (minus the motion issues) is excellent with the InterVideo nonCSS decoder. If I could just get past this issue I'd be 100% happy with BTV and ould go back to worrying about the bugs in the BM betas that I'm trying to run.

I also see the problem in Live TV, which doesn't quite make since to me unless the content is buffered through the MPEG encoder/decoder before screen display. Which would mean that the record qualities would have an impact.

Any help would be appreciated.

I realize BTV is trying to make a product for several OS's with a variety of hardware. It would be nice if instead of the stickys in the user forums there was a table of reccomended hardware and settings over in the help writeups with the "optimum" configurations.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 02:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to MonsterHTPC Send a message via AIM to MonsterHTPC Send a message via Yahoo to MonsterHTPC

Actually with 3.5 I use the DVD Ready quality, or something along those lines.

As for seeing the effects in live TV and your records, that is normal, IE the duplication of any effect. LiveTV is just a recording, being played back 2 seconds after its recorded. Live TV uses your default recording quality for its liveTV quality. So ensure that is set to your desired specifications. IE if you want to use the max quality for liveTV ensure it is set as the default recording quality.

Give the best quality a try in the new 3.5 version of BTV, I like that one quite a bit for sure.

Is the motion problem occuring in all your recordings? Can you describe in detail what it looks like that you are seeing. Also switch to a channel with a news ticker scrolling at the bottom and see if the text looks correct or if its got the stair case effect going on.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:35 AM

Well, I suppose I've narrowed down the problem here to the recording settings. I did try the 3.5 "Best" quality and this improved the problem somewhat. I have not tried the default "high quality DVD" setting yet.

It does not appear all the time, but is limited to flickering or strobing of background scenes that have light and dark areas, when there is motion - such as panning of the scene. So, it would be noticeable in a drama but not evident in a cartoon or news channel shot of the anchor. The news tickers seem to be fine. Maybe I'm being too picky here, but I just don't feel these artifacts should be there. I could send you a few frames from a clip, but the file would still be a little large to email.

Thanks for continuing to reply on this thread. I'll try some more of the defaults and also do some more experimentation with different recording settings and hopefully find a combination that works.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Some progress, but the problem persists. It seems like there were more options in 3.4 to adjust the recording settings (GOP , VOBS, video noise reduction, etc.). It's not clear to me that any of these would help, but there is plenty of discussion about it (adjusting these parameters) prior to 3.5 release and then almost nothing after 3.5 came out. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one with this issue.

I had a set of custom settings in 3.4 that seemed to do the job. The setting names came over when I upgraded, but I'm beginning to think the actual values changed.

Am I missing the obvious on accessing these other tweaks? Does this have to be done in the registry now?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:40 AM

Hi, I used to run the "Better Yet" settings that worked quite well with BTV 3.4 with my ATI card, but ever since I upgraded to BTV 3.5, the recordings have played back choppily (split second pause or horizontal Betacam lines in fast-moving parts of the screen every few seconds). I found this following article in the Knowledge base http://kb.snapstream.com/?kbid=191 and am wondering if it means with the new DVD decoder in 3.5, how I should modify my recording settings. I take it from the above that I should just dump the previous painstakingly empiricized "Better Yet" settings and just try the "High Quality DVD Ready" or "Best" settings instead? Please let me know if you've had the same problems since upgrading from 3.4 to 3.5 and what the best settings you could get on an ATI card without leading to choppy recording/playback. (I know definitely that the choppiness is recorded because I play back the recordings on different PCs and Macs with the same choppy problem).
Bootcamp XP Pro w/SP3

Last edited by pcjr; 01-01-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:07 PM

I noticed that on the first page it says that the bitrate should be 5750000. However I am not able to enter a figure this high. I get an error saying that 20000 is the max. I should add I'm using the latest version of BTV.

So now when putting in a picture of 720x 480 I'm not sure what to enter in for the bitrate. I noticed that DVD Best setting uses a Bitrate of 7000.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMe
I noticed that on the first page it says that the bitrate should be 5750000. However I am not able to enter a figure this high. I get an error saying that 20000 is the max. I should add I'm using the latest version of BTV.

So now when putting in a picture of 720x 480 I'm not sure what to enter in for the bitrate. I noticed that DVD Best setting uses a Bitrate of 7000.

Any suggestions?
Those were the settings pre 3.5 (5750000). Just drop the last three digits

Media- 5 Tuners XP SP2 BTV 4.9.X
Asus P4S8X|P4 2.4|FX5200|PVR350/250/150/NVidia DualTV|OB SNDMAX

DVD - 10 Tuners XP SP2 BTV 4.9.X
Asus P4800E Dlx|P4 3.0 HT|FX5700|2GB Mem|PVR250/PVR150//2 PVRUSB2/]3 HDHomeRun/QAM

3 BTV Links - All XP SP2 BTV 4.9.X, BM 1.1, Firelfy

Family Room Asus P4800 Dlx|P4 2.6HT|7600GT
Treadmill Shuttle P4 2.6HT|6600GT
Basement Asus P4800 Dlx|P4 3.0HT|6600GT
Old 01-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Post updated for 3.5.1 and fixed all the broken links I could find. Hope this is helpfull. Also added imf4's info on Nvidia decoders and a few other tidbits.

Harold

Since you are displaying on a screen with a lower resolution, possibly try a custom recording quality with a resolution close to your desktop size and push up the video bitrate, or try different ones.

Last edited by MonsterHTPC; 01-04-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:34 AM

For some reason I can't get BTV to use the NVIDIA decoders. I don't have the custom.xml file as per instructions.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:56 AM

You have to have that file or BTV won't work.

That file is located in a hidden folder, make sure you have the option in your file browser, under Tools -> Folder options -> View -> Show hidden files and folders, checked.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:33 PM

General bump for those that may find this thread of use.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:11 PM

bump!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 PM

I just tried the PVR150 and BTV suggested settings and immediately saw an improvement. I'm using the Intervideo NonCSS decoder.

I then went to hook ffdshow into the mix and was totally awe struck when I saw the improvement! WOW! My awe stayed with me for about 4 seconds at which time BTV froze! Bummer! Not too WOW anymore. Now since I've tasted the sinful fruit of ffdshow, I must have more.

I'm running a 1.8 Ghz, 512 RAM, lots of disk, XP SP2, with a FX-5200 NVidia video card (if it matters). I'm at about 65 - 75% CPU utilization without ffdshow in the picture. I appear to be at about 100% plus with ffdshow. I'm TV-OUT'ing to a OK quality rear projection TV. My BTV version is 3.7.4 build 2507.

Any clues as to why I would freeze yet still be able to hear the audio some of the time? I'm willing to add RAM or swap out my video card if needed to get a better picture quality. I may even be temped to check out to see if my system will support a second CPU or a more powerful one on the existing motherboard if I must.