SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forums > Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link User-to-User Troubleshooting & Support Forum
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Re: Hauppauge HD-PVR support

THE PROBLEM
I found one problem that may have been an issue in the past and all along; I have a failing HD-PVR. Back when I had the problems using two HD-PVR recorders I installed nPVR and moved one HD-PVR to it and it was recording fine, no problems. After changing my recording settings to low in BTV and having success with the “second” HD-PVR I moved the other, “first” HD-PVR back to BTV and the lockups came back. Great, so I moved it back to nPVR and everything was fine until last week when it started screwing up nPVR recordings. It started with pixilation then all out failing to record, 37 minutes of an hour recording 20 minutes 7 minutes; failing, blue light staying on, not recording at all.
THE FIRST AND SECOND HD-PVR
The “first” HD-PVR was the first one in the order of use for the HD-PVR recorders in BTV and is the one moved back and forth between nPVR and BTV; I think it was failing all along. It is my opinion that nPVR was more forgiving than BTV and that is why it did ok for so long. I would see minor pixilation with its recordings from nPVR but I kind of turned a blind eye to it. When I moved it back to BTV it screwed up the whole shooting match and I put it back onto nPVR! So I had one, (the second) HD-PVR recording almost flawlessly on BTV; yes an occasional crash, (may be channel related, more on that after more testing) and one on nPVR that has finally give up recording altogether.
THE QUESTION
I’m going to replace the failing HD-PVR and wanted to try the Hop-Hog model 1512 HD PVR 2 and I was wondering if anyone has used it with BTV. Will BTV even recognize it?
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1, Gigabyte EP45-UD3L, 3 ghz Intel Core2 Quad; SS Drive (OS), 15 TB Storage (5 TB Free), XFX Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 128-bit, 80" Sharp "Vumongous" display, BTV_V4.9.2.6323, 2 HD PVRs, (1.7.1.30059) 2 HVR-1250s, (OTA), 2 HVR-2250s (QAM).
Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop0369 View Post
THE PROBLEM
I found one problem that may have been an issue in the past and all along; I have a failing HD-PVR. Back when I had the problems using two HD-PVR recorders I installed nPVR and moved one HD-PVR to it and it was recording fine, no problems. After changing my recording settings to low in BTV and having success with the “second” HD-PVR I moved the other, “first” HD-PVR back to BTV and the lockups came back. Great, so I moved it back to nPVR and everything was fine until last week when it started screwing up nPVR recordings. It started with pixilation then all out failing to record, 37 minutes of an hour recording 20 minutes 7 minutes; failing, blue light staying on, not recording at all.
THE FIRST AND SECOND HD-PVR
The “first” HD-PVR was the first one in the order of use for the HD-PVR recorders in BTV and is the one moved back and forth between nPVR and BTV; I think it was failing all along. It is my opinion that nPVR was more forgiving than BTV and that is why it did ok for so long. I would see minor pixilation with its recordings from nPVR but I kind of turned a blind eye to it. When I moved it back to BTV it screwed up the whole shooting match and I put it back onto nPVR! So I had one, (the second) HD-PVR recording almost flawlessly on BTV; yes an occasional crash, (may be channel related, more on that after more testing) and one on nPVR that has finally give up recording altogether.
THE QUESTION
I’m going to replace the failing HD-PVR and wanted to try the Hop-Hog model 1512 HD PVR 2 and I was wondering if anyone has used it with BTV. Will BTV even recognize it?
Can't answer relating the HP-PVR v2 but I can say the when you move, reinstall or otherwise screw around with your configuration and you decide to run HWCLEAR make sure you set it to remove everything AND check the search other drivers to verify that if you had created orphaned drivers on your system HWCLEAR will get them too. That trick solved several problems I was having.
BTW, search here on HD-PVR 2 (Model 1480).

Server Dell XPS410
1x HDHRPrime (3 tuners)
2x HD-PVR Driver: HDPVR_1.6.29333.0
USB-UIRT (2 zones-HD-PVRs)
BTV 4.9.2 build 6525
XP SP3 32bit 3g
BTVLink/BM on two ACER R1600
BTV Server/Link on quad CPU machine (XPS410 underpowered when recording 3+ progs and attempting to watch any on Link)
Links are fed by 2nd i7 XP PC
UPNP/media server: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus
Comcast STBs

Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 AM

Can anyone tell me what is the X10 unit I would need to buy to implement the solution by Tscales on this page of the forum?

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/show...=47409&page=97

So frustrated with the HDPVRs. I tried literally every idea out there and would like to try this before I go insane. I downloaded the pwr.zip file but don't know how to implement the solution or what X10 hardware is needed. Has this worked for anyone in the long term?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 AM
l33t Member

Well, I wouldn't bother. It works flawlessly, at least to power cycle the HDPVR, but it isn't a total solution. I'm RMAing my HDPVR(s) again. They eventually just fail. They will record one, maybe two shows and lock. Even power cycled.

And I have THREE of them
    • VSFS - Virtual - Essentials Domain Controller
  • Dell Precision T7400 - Dual X5460 Quad Core 32GB
    • VHD2 - Virtual - HDHR Prime
  • VMedia2 - Backup Content Server
  • Playroom - Dell 540s - Sharp 60" 1080P
  • Master Bedroom - Dell XPS410 - Samsung 46" 1080p
  • Guest - Dell XPS410 - Vizio 24" 1080P
  • Loft - Dell GX620 USFF - Westinghouse 37" 1080P
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the X10 unit I would need to buy to implement the solution by Tscales on this page of the forum?

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/show...=47409&page=97

So frustrated with the HDPVRs. I tried literally every idea out there and would like to try this before I go insane. I downloaded the pwr.zip file but don't know how to implement the solution or what X10 hardware is needed. Has this worked for anyone in the long term?
I have been power cycling my HD-PVR for a a couple of years now and it is pretty stable. It will still bomb from time to time. It hardly ever bombs in the middle of a recording like it use to, the error I get now is almost always could not terminate the recording. Which is slightly worse than the original problem, because when it happens it will sometimes kill my HDHomerun recordings as well. All in all I am happy though. I will keep plugging along until I am forced to switch to another solution.

PVS setup:
BTV:4.9.3[6535] | Processor:Intel 2.4 Ghz Quad Core | MB: Asus P5N-D| RAM: 4GB DDR2 | Tuner: HD-PVR driver 1.7.1.30059 and both tuners of my HDHomerun using OTA | Graphics card: ASUS GeForce 210 GT - Nvidia Force ware 260.99| Sound: From HDMI on video card| Display: Sony 60" BRAVIA HDTV | OS: Windows XP Home SP3 | BTC 9019URF wireless keyboard| Remote: Harmony 700 with Firefly mini receiver | Tuning: USB-UIRT on Dish VIP222 STB
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Do you power cycle manually or with the solution in Tscales post? His solution to have it power cycle right before the HDPVR is needed for use sounds like the best way to go. I just don't know how to implement it. I'm not familiar with the X10 stuff. I used to have a simple power timer on it to power cycle them overnight but it wasn't enough. As a side note, I recently tried scoping out all the other BTV alternatives out there and to this day I still find BTV the best, most easy to use DVR option. If it weren't for these HDPVR issues it would be perfect. I just wish Snapstream would throw us a bone and fix the HDPVR Issue or allow a simple way to restart/reset them before recordings
Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM

I use a different solution to power cycle my HD-PVR on a daily schedule.

I have a USB Net power 8800 (you can get one from amazon) which is a power outlet you can control through USB
I also found online a person who wrote a python script to control the device through scripts http://code.google.com/p/usbnetpower8800/

setting up the device is a little bit tricky to use the script as you need setup the usb port in python to use the script. with pyusb and libusb
Running BTV 4.X, core 2 duo 2.6GHz, 4GB ram, Asus p5b-e, Vista, NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT, Hauppauge PVR250, Hauppauge PVR150, DVICO FusionHDTV5 RT Gold, FusionHDTV 5 USB Gold,HD 1x 500 SATA, 1 x 400 SATA, 1x 750 SATA, 1x 320 External, 1 x 250 External

Current BTV Podcatcher Version
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Does that device power cycle when there is a problem or just overnight?
Thanks

I wonder why Snapstream doesn't fix this since it seems the only way to really get all HD stations available. Is the HDPVR supported on the Enterprise Edition? If so I wonder if they fixed it for that, or does the Enterprise edition only record in SD?
I bet they would sell a lot more copies of the Consumer version if it was fixed. Sometimes I don't think snapstream realizes what they have here with BTV. Just think how cool it would be if the Colossus or HDPVR2 was supported!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Tell you what, guys, there's a lot of validity to the connection between the power supply and the lock-ups.

I posted awhile back how I solved the lock-ups with a new 5A power supply. Well, eventually I started getting lock-ups again (story of my life ... seems whenever I've "solved" this problem it eventually comes back). At first they were occasional, then they started getting frequent, like once or twice a day. The issue came on over a period of several months.

Finally one day the unit was dead. The power LED wouldn't even come on.

I had another new 3A power supply I had never used before, and I tried it. Presto, the HDPVR came back to life.

It's been running 2 weeks lock-up free since then.

I'm not claiming a fix - I know better than to do that. But man, there's a strong connection between the power supply you use and the level of this problem.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 AM

Tried that too with a 3A and a 5A without success. My thoughts are that it may be sensitive to the signal coming in from the cable box which is why we set locked to 720P. I also tried a signal booster amongst a million other things! Another reason I suspect this is because I was running 100% for 2 years or so, then my cable provider (cablevision) did a major firmware update to our boxes. It fixed one of my old complaints, that live TV channel changing was sooo slow. Now the boxes change channels very fast but my HDPVR's randomly lock up. Are the newer HDPVR's any better? These things seems so fragile I cant believe they haven't made any improvements on them!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 PM

I see AVerMedia has a new HD capture box called HD EzRecorder Plus
C283S. It supports up to 1080p.

Has anyone tried it with BTV?

Last edited by Raymond; 08-03-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
l33t Member

Everybody else probably already realized this, but I think I have found a coalition between Defrg and HD-PVR could not terminate process.

My current HD-PVR hardley ever drops in the middle or after starting a recording. Over the last few months I have been gettign more and more could not terminate. It's a pain because just resetting the HD-PVR does not get my system back up. In fact many times if I power cycle the HD-PVR after a could not terminate it will cause my system to crash.

Anyway, I had about 3 recordings in a row with the error and I started wondering what my drive looks like. It was fragmented really badly. In fact it could not defrag a good number of files on my primary record drive. I had to move files off to another drive and them after defraging moving them back.

Well to make a long story longer, it's been three days since I did that and I haven't had a could not terminate yet. I used to have a batch that defraged on a regular basis, but when I switched around my system a year or so back I never set that back up. I have now. YMMV

PVS setup:
BTV:4.9.3[6535] | Processor:Intel 2.4 Ghz Quad Core | MB: Asus P5N-D| RAM: 4GB DDR2 | Tuner: HD-PVR driver 1.7.1.30059 and both tuners of my HDHomerun using OTA | Graphics card: ASUS GeForce 210 GT - Nvidia Force ware 260.99| Sound: From HDMI on video card| Display: Sony 60" BRAVIA HDTV | OS: Windows XP Home SP3 | BTC 9019URF wireless keyboard| Remote: Harmony 700 with Firefly mini receiver | Tuning: USB-UIRT on Dish VIP222 STB
Old 09-06-2013, 01:03 PM

I'm virtually certain we are all experiencing software problems and not hardware problems. I just had a run of close to two weeks without a single hang or HDPVR related problem. Prior to that I was having to cycle the power on the HDPVR after one or two recordings as the system would hang. Then, magically, everything began working as it should. Three days ago I had to shut down BTV in order to make an adjustment to the channel lineup associated with the HDPVR. Of course, I'm back in the one and done mode with the HDPVR. Additionally, my other tuners have had hiccups since the restart.

I notice that, prior to a hang, the last recording file created using the PDPVR has the "hidden" attribute which means the COMSKIP does not run and the attributes shown by BTV show 0 MB and the start and end time is the same. The entire show is in fact recorded.

So, just restarting BTV (everything else unchanged) causes the HDPVR to hang after virtually every recording. It has to be a SW problem. I'm guessing it is a BTV service that is misbehaving. At some point for some unknown reason, after repeated power cycling the HDPVR the problem rights itself and everything works properly.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
l33t Member

Still getting the "Could not Terminate" error. It's happening much less though now. Since my last post it's probably happened three times. Before I started defragging again, it was probably happening once every other day.

PVS setup:

Tags
hd pvr, hdpvr