SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Product Discussions > Firefly PC Remote
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 03:46 PM

fIREFLY WORN OUT?

I'M BRAND NEW HERE SO i HOPE I'M POSTING IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
I'm currently on my 2nd Firefly remote and am having the same problem as my first one. The contacts under the buttons appear to be "worn out".
IE: They no longer respond accurately. Sometimes they respond and other times I'll get a double response and still other times no response at all. Also, I usually have to press harder than normal to get any response. To be fair this latest remote has been in daily use for a couple of years but it's just my wife and I--there are no kids abusing the product.
I hesitate to spend $50 again but if it's necessary.....
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jerry
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Re: fIREFLY WORN OUT?

I am on my third FF mini. I got my first with BTV, my second free with a Link license, and my third on eBay. It was the 'enter' button then the "up: button that failed. Always make sure you have good batteries.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using the regular remote and you mentioned the mini. What's the difference?
Jerry
Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
l33t Member

The mini is IR based, and the regular one is RF. I use a Harmony remote with my mini's receiver for many many years (5+). My mini remote is in a drawer somewhere.
BTV: ASUS A8N5X | AMD 64 X2 3800+ | Radeon HD2600XT | 4 X 512 RAM | 2 Hauppauge 250 | Hauppauge HD-PVR | 3 Bell Expressvu Receivers | USB-UIRT | SPDIF | 50 inch DLP Samsung | BM for Dvd Library plugin only | J. River Media Center 12 | Firefly Mini | Harmony 880
BTV Link: AMD Sempron 2300+ | ATI 9550 AGP | 512 RAM | RF to 27 inch SD TV | Firefly Mini | Harmony 880
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderFan View Post
The mini is IR based, and the regular one is RF. I use a Harmony remote with my mini's receiver for many many years (5+). My mini remote is in a drawer somewhere.
I picked the RF on purpose because my Media Center computer was in a
different room on a different level in my home.
Things have been changed recently so both are in the same room and I can
probably switch to an IR.
Do you know if your Harmony remote will work with the Firefly receiver? If
yes, does your Harmony allow you to enter text for doing a program search in
Media Center. The RF remote would not allow text entry so if I needed text
I always had to hook up a keyboard. Big pain in the neck. Would be great
to have the text input capability in the future.
What model Harmony are you using?
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM
l33t Member

My Acoustic Research remote (ARRX18G) does IR and RF..

Or, How about something like this..??
It comes either 2.4ghz RF or Bluetooth..
Attached Images

AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8ghz
6 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 3200HD (integrated)
2 - Hauppauge HVR-2250 Tuners (27323 Drivers)
Acoustic Research Remote -Xsight ARRX18G
Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryheere View Post
I'M BRAND NEW HERE SO i HOPE I'M POSTING IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
I'm currently on my 2nd Firefly remote and am having the same problem as my first one. The contacts under the buttons appear to be "worn out".
If you can open the remote, try taking a pencil eraser to the contacts. You'd be amazed at how a simple cleaning can help these types of buttons.
(2) Hauppauge 2250's; (1) PVR-150
ATI HD3300 (onboard) Video
AMD Phenom 9550 Agena 2.2GHz CPU
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 Cooler
2GB PC2-8500 DDR2 SDRAM
XP Pro / MediaPortal / BeyondTV
Drobo V2
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks, I tried that on my original and didn't help but I'll try it on this one.
Jerry
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1426 View Post
My Acoustic Research remote (ARRX18G) does IR and RF..

Or, How about something like this..??
It comes either 2.4ghz RF or Bluetooth..

That looks a lot like my QWERTY remote that came with my Samsung TV,
Too bad I can't use that, it would sure simplify life.
Jerry
Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM
l33t Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryheere View Post
Do you know if your Harmony remote will work with the Firefly receiver? ......

What model Harmony are you using?
Thanks,
Jerry
It works great, that is what I use. I have a Harmony 700, but have also used the 550.

PVS setup:
BTV:4.9.3[6535] | Processor:Intel 2.4 Ghz Quad Core | MB: Asus P5N-D| RAM: 4GB DDR2 | Tuner: HD-PVR driver 1.7.1.30059 and both tuners of my HDHomerun using OTA | Graphics card: ASUS GeForce 210 GT - Nvidia Force ware 260.99| Sound: From HDMI on video card| Display: Sony 60" BRAVIA HDTV | OS: Windows XP Home SP3 | BTC 9019URF wireless keyboard| Remote: Harmony 700 with Firefly mini receiver | Tuning: USB-UIRT on Dish VIP222 STB
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 AM

I had recently been experiencing the same problem with my original Firefly. A few of the buttons had become less responsive, exhibiting the same symptoms as the OP. Fortunately, once you manage to open up the remote, it's very easy to fix.

Prying the Firefly open is a bit tricky, but not impossible. First, remove the battery cover and batteries. Starting near the botton, carefully pry the top and bottom halves apart, working the seam up the sides toward the top. This is the tricky part, as you can break the tabs that hold the top & bottom halves together if you're not careful. I was able to use my thumbnail without breaking either the remote or my thumbnail but you could likely use a thin, rigid piece of plastic, such as an old credit card or a plastic knife. The tabs will pop free one at a time, and as you work your way to the top, they'll become easier to pop.

Once the Firefly is open, simply separate the rubber button panel from the circuit board. I cleaned both the conductive rubber button contacts and the circuit board contacts with a paper towel partially soaked in rubbing alcohol. Pure isopropyl alcohol or electronic contact cleaner would be better as it wouldn't leave a residue, but rubbing alcohol worked great in pinch for me. I then dried both surfaces and repeated the cleaning/drying process two more times.

After cleaning and drying, simply lay the rubber button panel back on the circuit board, being careful to line it up properly. There are a few small guide posts and holes on both surfaces to help line it up. Place the top half of the Firefly outer case back on top, maintaining that everything is still lined up, and snap it back into place starting at the top.

After that 10-minute procedure (gettting it open was the hardest part), My old Firefly works like new.

The Firefly has quite a few plastic tabs holding the case-halves together, so even if you break one or two, it should still snap together, though possibly with a bit of "play." Taking my time, I was able to separate and re-assemble the halves without breaking a thing.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
l33t Member

If you need a Firefly, I got one HERE for $20 with free shipping.

It's only the remote and doesn't include the receiver. Didn't look exactly new, but very close and it works fine.

Directron.com also sells them, new in retail box for $39, but shipping not free unless you are ordering more items. They also have good prices on computer hardware and a good selection.
PVR - OTA Digital Only, XP Pro w/SP3, Antec NSK24580 w/380 Earthwatts PS, ASUS M4A785-M, AMD 785G MB, AMD Regor 250, 4GB Corsair 6400, HIS ATI 5450 512MB, HDMI, Seagate 750GB SATAII, WD SATAII 1.5TB, VIA HD Audio, Hauppauge 1250, Avermedia MCE 180, 42" Philips Plasma 720p.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: