SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 07:36 AM
l33t Member

Microsoft Acquires Video Search Engine

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/23/wit...big-potential/

At first, I wasn't quite sure what impact this would have on Snapstream. Like most of us on this forum, I'm a BTV user, and I'm just as disappointed as the rest of us by Snapstream's abandonment of their consumer product. But I still want the company to survive and prosper, if for no other reason than in the hopes that MAYBE someday they'll throw some development money back at BTV.

But this latest MS acquisition doesn't bode well for Snapstream. As I understand it, VideoSurf doesn't rely on OTA or cable-carrier supplied closed captioning, but instead uses audio (voice) recognition to build its search database from online sources. We're all pretty well aware of how we can get much of our video content online. Once this technology is up to speed in even a second-tier search engine like Bing or on platforms like Windows and Xbox, there won't be much need for companies to spend thousands of dollars on Snapstream Enterprise products. Say goodbye to the remaining revenues that we were hoping might get diverted to BTV development. Say goodbye to Snapstream.

This won't happen overnight, but this is what I'm foreseeing as a result of this news. My crystal ball isn't all that clear, though, so I'm more than willing to hear some other speculation. What do you think this means for Snapstream, their Enterprise products, and for BTV?
plus one Hauppauge HVR-2250 on a second antenna, all in one Core2Duo E6600 HTPC doing OTA reception (SEVEN tuners in total!)

Three old (free!) laptops running either Vista or XP scattered about the house running BTV Link, attached to HD and standard-def TVs
Old 11-24-2011, 03:17 PM
l33t Member

Re: Microsoft Acquires Video Search Engine

Good topic, but IMHO this won't affect SS much as they still offer a turnkey solution, as opposed to MS which will still be simply supplying software. Vendors would need to pop up which do the builds in order to provide an off-the-shelf solution, obviously.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:23 PM
l33t Member

Re: Microsoft Acquires Video Search Engine

Check out Videosurf's web site. They're not about capture software. They're about enabling web-based searching of online content in a way that could negate the need for local multichannel capture (a la Snapstream Enterprise) in order to find and catalog specific content. http://www.videosurf.com/
plus one Hauppauge HVR-2250 on a second antenna, all in one Core2Duo E6600 HTPC doing OTA reception (SEVEN tuners in total!)

Three old (free!) laptops running either Vista or XP scattered about the house running BTV Link, attached to HD and standard-def TVs

Tags
microsoft videosurf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: