SnapStream Forums

Go Back   SnapStream Forums > SnapStream Discussion
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 PM

Cool Will BTV Support Ceton CableCARD tuner?

Greetings, I have Comcast, and they are switching over to all digital signal. This will invalidate 4 of my TV tuners on my DVR. I have been anxiously awaiting the Cablecard tuners. I found a couple that have different options. The ATI version is external, with USB support. Their internal one fits into a PCIe 1x slot, but has no gold fingers. You must run a USB cable out of the case into a USB slot. These options are not for me. I would like a tuner card that sits on a PCIe bus, that uses the M-Card. This is the multi channel cable card. From what I read it can tune 4 sources at once. This would mean we could record 4 shows at once all in full HD! I am crossing my fingers that they will release this Centon card sooner then Comcast makes their final switch. I am also hoping I can acquire a M-Card.

PLEASE tell me Beyond TV will support this new tuner device!

Here's the link I am basing this thread from.

"We learned all about it this new tuner first thing this morning and were very pleased to see a "technology preview" of the card in action at the Microsoft's booth. As expected, it is a single PCI-E card that uses one multi-stream CableCARD and offers the ability to record four HD channels at once. The tuner shows up as a single network adapter in Windows and still uses UPnP like the currently available ATI tuner does. The configuration and diagnostic interface included tabs for each individual tuner and apparently two Tuning Adapters -- unfortunately there wasn't a working demo of the SDV tuning in action. And in case you are wondering, we did ask about the price and as you might expect we were referred to Ceton for specific product questions. We do already have an appointment with them tomorrow, but we'd be surprised if they were ready to tell us."

Hands-on with the Ceton CableCARD tuner -- Engadget HD

Matt|ttaM
Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
l33t Member

Re: Will BTV Support Ceton CableCARD tuner?

I don't work for SS but in the post linked to below, they say no.

Read this

Quote:
We are not working on the following:
(This list is not comprehensive, but should clarify many questions.)
*Media Items(photos,dvd,music)
*Upnp/DLNA
*Cablecard
*Dvb (or other international support)
*A new Full Screen Interface
*Further hd-pvr support past its current state

PVS setup:
BTV:4.9.3[6535] | Processor:Intel 2.4 Ghz Quad Core | MB: Asus P5N-D| RAM: 4GB DDR2 | Tuner: HD-PVR driver 1.7.1.30059 and both tuners of my HDHomerun using OTA | Graphics card: ASUS GeForce 210 GT - Nvidia Force ware 260.99| Sound: From HDMI on video card| Display: Sony 60" BRAVIA HDTV | OS: Windows XP Home SP3 | BTC 9019URF wireless keyboard| Remote: Harmony 700 with Firefly mini receiver | Tuning: USB-UIRT on Dish VIP222 STB
Old 03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
l33t Member

Location: About 2 feet in front of the monitor. (otherwise CT)
Re: Will BTV Support Ceton CableCARD tuner?

IF SnapStream wants to actually improve their current consumer DVR software they really need to embrace the cable card environment. A few of us are fortunate that our cable providers are still sending analog cable stations down the wire. I know here (Cox) they intend to keep providing their analog cable service until 2012. Past that, I'm going to be in the same boat as a lot of others. NO way to receive any cable stations in digital unless I use a converter box. OR go the route of the analog hole with the also unsupported Happauge hd-pvr.

The 4-tuner enabled cable card is the future solution for many of us. The existing BeyondTV application is certainly reliable and has a great potential that I guess SS (for some reason) just doesn't want to explore.

Maybe that will change. We can only hope ... Meanwhile I'll be enjoying my BTV right up until January 1st 2012.

Retired BTV Beta Tester. 4.x.x

(new setup coming soon)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: