View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 09:35 PM

Re: Control Cable Box from Firewire

Step-by-step directions for setting up BTV to control your STB via Firewire:

(I figured I'd type this out for all the new people who just want to get this set up and running without a lot of trouble! If there are errors in these directions please PM me and I'll fix them.)

1. Download the firewire.zip file from this thread at The Green Button:
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...ssageID=104152

2. Run firestb.msi to install the software. During installation you only need to check the command-line apps and drivers. The other Applications are used with MCE.

3. Install your STB hardware in Windows as directed in the readme under "Firewire Driver Installation".

4. Test your setup as directed in the readme under "Firewire Channel Change Testing". Make a note of the device number you are using - you will need this later.

5. From the above post by timmmoore, download channel.zip and put channel.dll into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SnapStream\Beyond TV\tuner. Note that this is a hidden directory - you will have to turn on viewing of hidden files and folders in order to see it.

6. Restart BTV. In the Web Admin -> Settings -> Audio and Video Inputs, for the tuner connected to your STB, click Edit Settings, select Channel Change from the Tuner drop-down. Save changes.

7. Restart BTV, go to Live TV. Change to a channel that is only available via your STB. The channel on the STB will not change.

8. Run regedit. Navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\timmmoore\channel.
Edit Arguments and change the string to the device number noted in step 4.

9. In Live TV, change to a channel that is only available via your STB. The channel on the STB should now change. That's all there is to it!

Hope this helps those new to this or having problems!
Dell 400SC | P4 2.8 GHz HT 800FSB | 512MB DDR400 | 200GB show drive | Windows XP SP2 Pro | PVR-150 | PVR-250 | Motorola DCT-6200 | ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder 9000 | Samsung 56" HLP-5663 DLP via DVI connection