PDA

View Full Version : New to Beyond TV

SubnetMask
09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a few questions about Beyond TV. I've been using Microsoft Windows MCE for a while and for the most part, like it's functionality, but I like the looks of Beyond TV, especially the lack of the DRM stuff. One thing media center does that I haven't found in BTV is the "My Videos" section (or something similar) where I can have videos stored on my server and have the Media center stream them off the server. Is this something that can be added (or is just hidden somewhere) in BTV?

As for BTV functionality, is it possible to have it compress the recorded Video in xVid instead of DivX?

Also, I have Microsoft Media Center Remote. When I went through the setup, that was listed as an option for the remote, but what do I choose for the IR Blaster that is part of the MCE Remote?

Has anyone had any issues running BTV on Windows XP x64 Edition? I installed it on XP64 and it *sems* ok.

Thanks,
Dave

cmcquistion
09-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I can answer some of your questions.

You can have BTV configured with multiple video folders and you could have some of them be on network drives so you can watch videos from another computer.

BTV can only compress into DivX format, but there is an addon, here in the forums, called AutoXvid which scripts together several programs, including AutoGK, to detect commercials (optional), cut commercials (optional), and compress to Xvid or DivX, using AutoGK (optional). AutoXvid is a little complex, but it is very powerful and offers several options not available in stock BTV.

I don't know anything about the MCE IR Blaster, but I've seen many threads in this forum on this subject. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find a lot of information.

I have heard that BTV is not officially support under XP64 and there are some bugs. I'm not sure what they are or how serious they are, but if you're serious about using BTV, I would recommend you use the supported OS (Windows XP, 32 bit).