PDA

View Full Version : Streaming live TV to my PDA (or laptop)

qwertybot
08-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I was directed to Beyond TV by another forum. I'm trying to get it setup to stream so I can watch TV on my PDA and/or laptop. I have Beyond TV setup properly with my Hauppauge PVR-USB2 (can watch Live TV). However, i can't figure out how to view it on my PDA/Laptop.

I read the help file, but got confused when it said, "The "Live TV" server port is set in Add / Edit non-Hardware Encoder Input." I went there, but couldn't find the port.

What is the default port for Live TV?

Thanks for any help.

gjunky
08-30-2006, 11:44 PM
To watch lice TV on a remote device like your PDA, you will need a software encoding TV tuner. You can however record a show first and then play it.

Look in the web admin under settings --> advanced Settings --> Streaming Server Settings. The default port = 1755

-gjunky

qwertybot
08-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Hmm, so your saying I can't stream live TV with my Hauppauge PVR-USB2? Crud, I thought that a hardware encoder would be better than a software encoder.

Well, at least I can stop pulling out my hair and shelve this whole idea.

nanook105
08-31-2006, 05:21 AM
You can watch live TV on your laptop if you install BTV link on the laptop

moonlonely
08-31-2006, 06:04 AM
You can also install orb on your desktop and laptop. (www.orb.com).

It uses a pretty hefty amount of system resources, so I tend to leave it disabled, but every now and again when I'm on a trip and want to view shows I've recorded, I turn it back on. You can also use it to stream live TV from your desktop, but if BTV was scheduled to record a show, Orb will override it, so again, I tend not to do this.

Cal
08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
I've got orb installed as well. I've not tried it for live TV yet. But I have streamed a couple mp3s and mpgs to my cell phone when I first installed it a couple weeks ago. Seems to work pretty good.

CollinR
09-02-2006, 11:14 AM
You can also try using RDP or VLAN but you gotta figure out channel changing.

I foresee the open source webmin coming up with a solution to this before too long.

nparker13
09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
You can also try using RDP or VLAN but you gotta figure out channel changing.

I foresee the open source webmin coming up with a solution to this before too long.

Does this work with BTV? Ive used Logmein for managing the backend part of it, but i need to have btv closed because of direct x. can you use rdp from say a pocket pc and watch recorded tv? can it grab the sound?

tahnks
nate

collin
09-09-2006, 04:21 AM
You can also install orb on your desktop and laptop. (www.orb.com).

It uses a pretty hefty amount of system resources, so I tend to leave it disabled, but every now and again when I'm on a trip and want to view shows I've recorded, I turn it back on. You can also use it to stream live TV from your desktop, but if BTV was scheduled to record a show, Orb will override it, so again, I tend not to do this.

have you gotten it to use high bandwidth direct streaming on your internal home network? I followed the port mapping instructions on the orb site and still get tiny video passed through their server.