PDA

View Full Version : Beyond TV 4 vs. Beyond TV 4 SE

mb011b
08-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Can anyone explain the difference between the bundled "SE" version of Beyond TV that comes with some tuners and the full version? I am looking at SE with Lifetime EPG included, and I know the bundles used to have a time-limited EPG, but some of them not anymore.

jebbbz
08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
The only thing I have read (came upon it by chance when checking on VBox HDTV cards) was that Showsqueeze was not available. There may be other features that are missing, too, but that is all I have seen so far. I do not what upgrades for BTV 4 SE exist.

soham
08-23-2006, 05:01 PM
There are basically three models:

Beyond TV SE. This version comes with an EPG that is limited for a trial period. After that, the user has to "subscribe" to continue getting the EPG. This version does support ShowSqueeze to WMV and SmartSkip. It will not include DivX support.

Beyond TV Express. Where the SE version is a subscription model, Express is a Basic/Pro model. The software comes with an EPG that does not expire. However, some of the functionality is disabled. For example, Record Always, Record New, DivX, ShowSqueeze, and SmartSkip are all disabled. Users can upgrade directly to the full version of Beyond TV and get all of the features and no subscriptions just like other retail customers.

Beyond TV Trial. This is the trial version that can be downloaded from our website. It stops working after 21 days. Users can upgrade to the full version with all of the features and without having to pay subscriptions.

Although, you didn't say in your post, but it sounds like you are looking at a VBox card with Beyond TV SE and a lifetime subscription. In that case, the OEM is bundling a version with Dolby 5.1 (the same as what we include in the full version), so that's nice. However, the card does not have a hardware encoder, and the software will not include the software encoder. For the most part, that's okay since that card is primarily for the OTA HD functionality.

wxman
09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I just got a VBox card with Beyond TV SE and a supposed lifetime subscription, and SnapStream.net says my trial EPG has expired - NO EPG. I am looking into why this occurred, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Link from Amazon with advertisement for lifetime EPG:
http://www.amazon.com/VBOX-COMMUNICATIONS-AMP0837-Starter-BeyondTV/dp/B000FC86FE/sr=8-1/qid=1158707502/ref=sr_1_1/104-9408549-5939158?ie=UTF8&s=pc

soham
09-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Hi wxman,

Yeah, that should not happen. It's probably something simple with the product key. Can you contact SnapStream tech support so that they can help you out.

Soham

fragmental
01-14-2007, 12:21 PM
You say that beyondtv 4 se has dolby digital 5.1 built in, but does beyondtv express? If so, then my 5.1 is not exactly working. It seems to downsample to 2 channels. If I look at the snapstream audio directshow filter with graphedit it doesn't show any output modes when I click on 4 speakers or 6 speakers.

tscales
01-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I've read there is a problem with the keys for the bundled sware -- contact Vbox as I understand the error was theirs

Deuce911
01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
When you are watching a show hit the "O" key and it will bring up the OPTION menu, change the Audio to 5.1 from there, it defaults to 2 Channel.

Mike

fragmental
01-15-2007, 11:19 PM
When you are watching a show hit the "O" key and it will bring up the OPTION menu, change the Audio to 5.1 from there, it defaults to 2 Channel.

Mike

pressing O during playback brings up a menu with deinterlacing, aspect ratio, and reset to defaults.