PDA

View Full Version : Wish List for shows you would like to...

bits
07-31-2006, 04:19 PM
I am sure this has been suggested but just in case it has not....

I would like to be able to enter a title of a movie or a show and have it saved so when it becomes available it will be recorded. Knd of like a 'Wish List' for shows you would like to record but are not currently available.

MarcP
07-31-2006, 05:26 PM
It would be neat, but prone to unwanted recording as well I'm sure.

Case in point... NBC will be showing the missing "E-Ring" episodes in August, but they are not showing in the BTV EPG yet. I search every day for them hoping they'd show up... Having the feature you suggested would be real nice. However, the keywork of "ring" would tag a lot of things I don't want. And the "-" in "E-Ring" isn't a valid character to use for searches...

bits
07-31-2006, 05:51 PM
It would be neat, but prone to unwanted recording as well I'm sure.

Case in point... NBC will be showing the missing "E-Ring" episodes in August, but they are not showing in the BTV EPG yet. I search every day for them hoping they'd show up... Having the feature you suggested would be real nice. However, the keywork of "ring" would tag a lot of things I don't want. And the "-" in "E-Ring" isn't a valid character to use for searches...
I see your point but maybe they could have it setup so that you have to confirm recording of a show from your Wishlist.

queonda
07-31-2006, 05:55 PM
This could be done another way. I also which there was some sort of feature, cuz if I forget, then it won't record. For example you see upcoming shows months in advance but only have 2 weeks of guide information. Would be cool, if you have show name/channel or network of future shows not showing yet and no guide informantion. you can search the list and set up a record all/new. So, show would be ready to record and you ddon't have to remember within the 2 weeks or you might just forget the season premire.

nanook105
07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Yet another "twist"

In the fall, I go to each station's web site and copy/paste the fall schedule into a spreadsheet. My wife and I each review all of the new shows (mostly based on the show description from the station's web site) and identify anything that looks remotely interesting. I then take the list and look for/add those shows as they become available in the Guide.

For shows that we have never watched before, we wait for at least three shows and then sit down and watch them in succession (to decide if we or one of us wants to continue to record)

There are a few things that would make this simpler

A presentation similar to the guide by channel for those channels that provide a weekly fall grid. The major networks all have a grid like this on their web sites. Include anything describing the show that the network can provide.
A presentation similar to the guide that only shows new episodes
A presentation similar to the guide that only shows "pilots"
Ability to select/set up recordings for shows in this grid (or any show not in the guide yet)

Fonceur
07-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Indeed, BTV could use some kind of persistant searches, besides what SnapStream.net offers.

In the mean time, you could try playing around with the Search function of my addon. You can have the search results automatically schedulled for recording. In the case of E-Ring, you could use the advanced search to only search in the title, that would restrict the false results (though since it is a search by keyword + extra filtering, you might exceed the number of search resuls before the filtering...). If you still have episodes of E-Ring recorded (or in the Recent recordings history) as well as the names of the missing episodes, you can use my search by episodes to bypass all those generic searches. Actually, if you still have traces of it but have deleted the job as such, you should be able to recreate it with my addon... ;)

queonda
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Indeed, BTV could use some kind of persistant searches, besides what SnapStream.net offers.

In the mean time, you could try playing around with the Search function of my addon. You can have the search results automatically schedulled for recording. In the case of E-Ring, you could use the advanced search to only search in the title, that would restrict the false results (though since it is a search by keyword + extra filtering, you might exceed the number of search resuls before the filtering...). If you still have episodes of E-Ring recorded (or in the Recent recordings history) as well as the names of the missing episodes, you can use my search by episodes to bypass all those generic searches. Actually, if you still have traces of it but have deleted the job as such, you should be able to recreate it with my addon... ;)

Yes, but this is only current to what information is currently in the guide (2 weeks or less), right?

What I'm talking about and Nanook is having the ability of looking past the 2 week limit of the guide.

MarcP
07-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Actually, if you still have traces of it but have deleted the job

Unfortunately, it ain't the case for me. The last episode of E-Ring aired before I bought and installed BTV. I downloaded the 12 episodes a few weeks ago and got real hooked to it. I know the show has been canceled, but I'd really like to catch the remaining 8 that NBC said will air starting in August. For now, I'll keep on searching for "Denis Hopper" as actor on snapstream.net

Then there's "Jericho" on ABC. Looks really good and I wish I could already add that title on my list... But for now, I'll have to wait until it shows up on the EPG. :)

Fonceur
07-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Yes, but this is only current to what information is currently in the guide (2 weeks or less), right?
Not quite, the idea is that you setup your searches and every time you launch my addon it will reperform the searches automatically. Or you could leave the addon running in the background, having it update every 8 hours or so...

What I'm talking about and Nanook is having the ability of looking past the 2 week limit of the guide.
Yes but that basically means having more than 2 weeks of guide data from somewhere... I would think that if SnapStream's provider had more than 2 weeks of data we would see it, unless there is some performance issue.

Fonceur
08-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Unfortunately, it ain't the case for me. The last episode of E-Ring aired before I bought and installed BTV. I downloaded the 12 episodes a few weeks ago and got real hooked to it. I know the show has been canceled, but I'd really like to catch the remaining 8 that NBC said will air starting in August. For now, I'll keep on searching for "Denis Hopper" as actor on snapstream.net
I think 14 have been shown, only the last 6 have not been shown yet... You could add the following line:

Episode = "E-Ring", 7, EP7538580000, Five Pillars, Fallen Angels, Two Princes, Brothers in Arms, Hard Sell, Isolation

to BTV-Negociator.search and make sure to enable the auto-search. Though grab the latest beta version of my addon since I found some bugs with the whole Episode searches... ;)

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?p=203311#post203311

TV Scheduler
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
The rules limit what I can say....

There are new series showing up all the time. This is the result of my automated search for unknown series that ran last Sunday.

Sunday July 30, 2006: "Shakespeare: Told" shown on the "BBCA-162" in the "Drama" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Footballers Wives: Overtime" shown on the "BBCA-162" in the "Drama" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "28 Acts in 28 Minutes" shown on the "BBCA-162" in the "Comedy" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Science of Shark Sex" shown on the "DSCP-63" in the "Nature" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Giant Squid: Caught on Camera" shown on the "DSCP-63" in the "Nature" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Three Moons Over Milford" shown on the "FAMP-48" in the "Drama" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Philosophy" shown on the "HISI-276" in the "History" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Just Legal" shown on the "KQCADT-58-1" in the "Drama" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Salaryman 6" shown on the "SUNDAEP-505" in the "Drama" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Bedouin Sand" shown on the "SUNDAEP-505" in the "Drama" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Summer of the Serpent" shown on the "SUNDAEP-505" in the "Drama" genre
Sunday July 30, 2006: "Sit Down Comedy With David Steinberg" shown on the "TVLANDP-52" in the "Comedy" genre

See a plugin here?
Should BTV step up and write their own code?
Useless information?
What do ya think?

Bob

Rich A
08-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I've asked for this as a new feature a few times from as far back as version 2 something. At the present I would say don't worry about the accuracy (ie whether or not the " - " is search-able). Just give us a feature to enable us to look for something specific and record it or notify us in advance when it becomes available.

Back when I was using the old ReplayTV I wanted to record a movie whose title was "Winchester 73" for my Dad (who worked at Winchester). I entered it in the special search area and then promptly forgot about it. About 8 months later .. when checking my recorded shows, I was pleasantly surprised to see my ReplayTV had recorded the movie the night before.

A VERY nice option and I'm amazed SS hasn't given this more thought.

It could be done as a search upon every new guide down-load or update. Since BTV keeps a 2 week buffer in the guide it would be easy to just have it put up an announcement that such and such is scheduled to record .. and the the usual options to record it, show upcoming etc. It could be part of the upcoming shows .. but maybe listed separately (like the first five such upcoming called "custom searches" or what-ever)

I can work around the syntax for now, and they can fine tune it later. Just give us a "perpetual" search option as a start. (And I also agree, this would make for a fine plug in)

queonda
08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
I wonder if we have enough WANT for this type of option? I know there has been many times, I have came across a show, which was almost over, and I really wanted to see it but wasn't going to show again in the 2 week guide. I believe there is an option for it to look for it for 30 days but it probably won't. Should also be an option to look for it indefiently.

queonda
08-01-2006, 02:17 PM
If I remember this correctly (without rereading the thread).
There are 4 things:
1) to have a list of new shows or pilots of a new scheldule (ie fall scheldule) when it becomes available. PASSED the 2 week schedule. So you can select and forget about it. I know there aren't scheldules yet, but there are show names.
2) Have a greater search or recording a movie past 30 days. If you missed a show/movie.
3) Have alerts set for pecial ongoing search.

Maybe when I have a chance or someone can write better than me write up a little sumting and we can all vote for it.

queonda
08-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Another thing I thought of... I have 4.3 but don't have any HD tuners YET. Is there a way in BTV to select HD shows only? Some shows on a HD channel doesn't mean the show is in HD.
Is there a way to specify only HD or search on HD or SD shows?

TV Scheduler
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
If I remember this correctly (without rereading the thread).
There are 4 things:
1) to have a list of new shows or pilots of a new scheldule (ie fall scheldule) when it becomes available. PASSED the 2 week schedule. So you can select and forget about it. I know there aren't scheldules yet, but there are show names.
2) Have a greater search or recording a movie past 30 days. If you missed a show/movie.
3) Have alerts set for pecial ongoing search.

Maybe when I have a chance or someone can write better than me write up a little sumting and we can all vote for it.

Think bigger.... Have a season passed added for new series in selected genres.

Is it better to record a show, find you're not interested and tell your app to stop recording the series or miss a few episodes and fiddle around with searches and such?

Bob

queonda
08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Maybe, but I didn't like tivo recording things it thinked I liked. Filling up the hard drive with nonesense.

Rich A
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Although this isn't exactly the same, I'm pretty sure you can do a search for something on the Snapstream.net user guide website. You can save that "search" as a favorite. No it won't record it when found, BUT it will keep looking and when it IS found will send you an email notification.

So if you have those "titles" of upcoming new shows and premeires that aren't starting until a month or two from now, you could at least enter their names in Snapstream.net search and save them as favorite searches. Then two weeks before they first air, you'll get an email about it, and you can then go to your regular BTV guide and set up the normal recording.

Not elegant but it is a way to do a kind of perpetual search in an automated form for extended periods of time.

nanook105
08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Although this isn't exactly the same, I'm pretty sure you can do a search for something on the Snapstream.net user guide website. You can save that "search" as a favorite. No it won't record it when found, BUT it will keep looking and when it IS found will send you an email notification.

So if you have those "titles" of upcoming new shows and premeires that aren't starting until a month or two from now, you could at least enter their names in Snapstream.net search and save them as favorite searches. Then two weeks before they first air, you'll get an email about it, and you can then go to your regular BTV guide and set up the normal recording.

Not elegant but it is a way to do a kind of perpetual search in an automated form for extended periods of time.

Maybe, but that feature (email from searches) hasn't worked for months

Rich A
08-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Maybe, but that feature (email from searches) hasn't worked for months

Oh no! And I've got a bunch of searches for new shows I've learned about coming in the fall. Hmmm, maybe that's why I haven't seen any email from Snapstream.net in while? Is it broke? Or just not supported any more?

nanook105
08-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh no! And I've got a bunch of searches for new shows I've learned about coming in the fall. Hmmm, maybe that's why I haven't seen any email from Snapstream.net in while? Is it broke? Or just not supported any more?

Broke - they say they are working on it..............

TV Scheduler
08-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Maybe, but I didn't like tivo recording things it thinked I liked. Filling up the hard drive with nonesense.

I don't know what TiVo was doing but it was worthless. I turned that feature off too.

Three of the shows on the list of new series, I posted, I might want to watch. Two are shows I will watch. The others are on channels I never seem to watch and should be dropped from my lineup.

But it looks like no one would be interested in a plugin so..... Never mind.

Bob

MickP
08-02-2006, 04:50 AM
I use Stephane's webguide to make sure I don't miss things like the season start of 'Startrek whatever'. There's some more info in another post here (http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showpost.php?p=166073&postcount=4).

Mick.

Rich A
08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Just to clarify, the ReplayTV and Tivo worked differently. The ReplayTV just allowed you to do a search and keep that search active until you turned it off. So even months down the road, it might find something you have been looking for.

It doesn't start auto recording what it perceives as your interests. And yes, I for one would love a plug-in that worked like the broken SnapStream.net search (favorite searches). Only instead of having it email me a notification, it would notify me somewhere in the BTV GUI. Don't need it to actually schedule a recording. Just let me know where and when it's coming up and let me select whether or not to record. That's my wish list.

By the way. I think an "automatic schedule to record" of a favorites search might be BEST to just notify. Picture this. You have several favorites being searched perpetually. One day it finds three of them. It attempts to schedule them, but finds that one or more conflict with existing recordings.

Now if it's fully automatic ... (you aren't around) how does BTV resolve the conflict? If it was stuck with the conflict resolution screen, and you weren't around to clear it, what would happen? I don't think there is a way around this problem. Therefore, I think the best thing would be a simple notification of this upcoming show .. with my option to select it for record. When I do select it, then I'll get the normal conflict message and can adjust the recordings.

nanook105
08-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Just to clarify, the ReplayTV and Tivo worked differently. The ReplayTV just allowed you to do a search and keep that search active until you turned it off. So even months down the road, it might find something you have been looking for.

It doesn't start auto recording what it perceives as your interests. And yes, I for one would love a plug-in that worked like the broken SnapStream.net search (favorite searches). Only instead of having it email me a notification, it would notify me somewhere in the BTV GUI. Don't need it to actually schedule a recording. Just let me know where and when it's coming up and let me select whether or not to record. That's my wish list.

By the way. I think an "automatic schedule to record" of a favorites search might be BEST to just notify. Picture this. You have several favorites being searched perpetually. One day it finds three of them. It attempts to schedule them, but finds that one or more conflict with existing recordings.

Now if it's fully automatic ... (you aren't around) how does BTV resolve the conflict? If it was stuck with the conflict resolution screen, and you weren't around to clear it, what would happen? I don't think there is a way around this problem. Therefore, I think the best thing would be a simple notification of this upcoming show .. with my option to select it for record. When I do select it, then I'll get the normal conflict message and can adjust the recordings.

Another way would be to put a link in the notification that takes you to the show at ss.net so that you can set up the recording remotely.

Fonceur
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
And yes, I for one would love a plug-in that worked like the broken SnapStream.net search (favorite searches). Only instead of having it email me a notification, it would notify me somewhere in the BTV GUI. Don't need it to actually schedule a recording. Just let me know where and when it's coming up and let me select whether or not to record. That's my wish list.
(...)
Now if it's fully automatic ... (you aren't around) how does BTV resolve the conflict?
Indeed, until SnapStream improve their very weak conflict management, that would most likely lead to problems.

As for plugin offering that... As pointed out before, StephaneM's web-based guide and my own BTV-Negociator have been doing that for like a year... ;) As for displaying directly in BTV's GUI, the API does not allow that level of integration. At best, I can create a warning in the Viewscape (BTV 4+) )when my addon detects a conflict.

TV Scheduler
08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Now if it's fully automatic ... (you aren't around) how does BTV resolve the conflict?

I'm sorry, I don't seem to be able to say what I mean.

If E-Ring is a series in the action genre and you automatically added a season pass for all new series in the action genre why would you need to search?

Bob

Fonceur
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
If E-Ring is a series in the action genre and you automatically added a season pass for all new series in the action genre why would you need to search?
For one thing, E-Ring is not a new series, simply a cancelled one where they are finally showing the un-aired episodes...

TV Scheduler
08-02-2006, 02:34 PM
For one thing, E-Ring is not a new series, simply a cancelled one where they are finally showing the un-aired episodes...

Ya think I haven't already created this feature?

Oh.... Never mind.

Bob

Fonceur
08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Ya think I haven't already created this feature?

Oh.... Never mind.
How would I know what your top-secret/too_good_for_mere_mortal/vaporware software do in the first place? You quote one thing, answer to something else and then try to re-answer the original point...

queonda
08-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Fonceur, Just ignore TV_schelduler. I don't know why he is on these boards anyway. He doesn't want to sell/share his secrete software but he wants people to give him money.

Like I kinda said before, He is the type of person saying his software is the $hit but noone else knows what he's talking about or seen it. I'm sure he's the kind of guy, the reason why he does this, cuz he hates to hear negitive comments, cuz he get's his feelings hurt and by braggin' he thinks he's the $hit but really just an annoying $hit talker and that doesn't smell like roses.

TV Scheduler
08-03-2006, 02:29 AM
How would I know what your top-secret/too_good_for_mere_mortal/vaporware software do in the first place? You quote one thing, answer to something else and then try to re-answer the original point...

You know perfectly well that new equaled unknown in that context and that the forum rules don't allow talking about other software products, vaporware or not.

This is a collection (http://tvscheduler.net/knownseries.txt) of series gathered over a few weeks.

If the series isn't in the collection and the genes match the wanted genres then it's a new series that might get watched.

It ain't secret and it sure ain't rocket science. The only problem is the barking dogs trying to keep the users from learning what they don't want'em to know.

Bob