PDA

View Full Version : Cable provider blocks digital recording

oaksong
07-15-2006, 06:04 PM
When I try to record from some channels, and not necessarily a digital channel, I get a message on the playback saying the recording has been blocked. It also says that it's because it's a DVI connection. This doesn't make any sense because I have an S video connection, not a DVI connection.

Is there any work around?

Fonceur
07-15-2006, 08:38 PM
When I try to record from some channels, and not necessarily a digital channel, I get a message on the playback saying the recording has been blocked. It also says that it's because it's a DVI connection. This doesn't make any sense because I have an S video connection, not a DVI connection.

Sounds like they have some buggy firmware applying protection to all output when it shouldn't... Try calling them, don't mention the PC, just say it doesn't work using the s-video cable to your TV...

MarcP
07-16-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm puzzled, though... How is the PC responding to 5C? Do we have capture cards obeying it? Shaw in Canada is notorious for "accidentally" enabling 5C once in a while in some markets...

Fonceur
07-16-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm puzzled, though... How is the PC responding to 5C? Do we have capture cards obeying it? Shaw in Canada is notorious for "accidentally" enabling 5C once in a while in some markets...

I doubt that this is a problem with the capture card, I suspect a VCR or TV connected through s-video would see the same problem...

MarcP
07-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, I'm assuming he's trying to record with his PC since this is a "Beyond TV" forum...

Fonceur
07-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, I'm assuming he's trying to record with his PC since this is a "Beyond TV" forum...

Yes but s-video is analog, so there is no flag carried over, which mean any device connected to the s-video would see that copy protection warning...

MarcP
07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Ok fine.. I was using the wrong term. Call it CGMS-A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A) then.

nanook105
07-16-2006, 06:41 PM
I had a similar issue with my cable box.

I was running cable from my box to the BTV tuner (not even svideo)
I also connected the box to my TV with DVI (for getting HD directly to my TV)

It worked for a while, but then I also started getting the same channel is blocked because of the DVI connection message (the message comes from the cable box). I replaced the DVI connection with component cables and I've never gotten the message again.

darren_e
07-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Solution-

DirecTV

(just kidding) I have never been a fan of cable though.

Fonceur
07-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Ok fine.. I was using the wrong term. Call it CGMS-A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A) then.

I still doubt that this is the case, what I had in mind is a situation similar to what nanook105 described...