PDA

View Full Version : System Failure - Help please

ajstegs
07-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I've had BTV working for months but a couple days ago when I went to watch tv it said it couldn't start live tv so I rebooted the machine. Upon rebooting the machine wouldn't come up. I would get the Windows XP Home splash screen then it'd error out and reboot. I never caught the error just saw the blue screen. Pulled my Hauppauge PVR-500 card out and my PNY Geforce 6200 graphics card and still wouldn't boot. Tried fixing the OS with the Windows XP CD but didn't work so I did a fresh install and got the OS working.

But now when I try to install BTV it locks up on the testing live tv screen. A few times I got an error on that page something like "Can't generate live tv graph". The next or back buttons aren't active so I can't move past the test to finish the setup. And I've let it sit for a good hour with no luck.

I used the TV caputure software that comes with the TV card and I get tv so the card is working. And I've tried several different drivers new and old. Moved the card into different slots. I hooked the cable to my tv and the cable is working. Tried 4.1 (my cd) and 4.3 with the same results.

I'm at a lost I've tried everything that I can think of. I would appreciate any suggestions. I never did figure out the problem that brought the system down in the first place so it may be the cause now but what would it be? I didn't add anything new to the system recently, and had been using 4.3 with no problem.

Mobo - Biostar M7NCG 400 (nvidia chipset)

My thanks to anyone with any ideas.

Jon Hancock
07-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Have you done any other checks on the graphics card? I don't know much about them but could the directX have failed? The software that comes with the TV card may not be using that part of the card.

Cheers,
Jon.

HomeyFour
07-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Sometimes I've found that the setup wizard will throw that failed to build live TV graph, but once I complete the setup wizard, everything works just fine! You might want to see if BTV works anyways.

ajstegs
07-04-2006, 08:22 PM
I did some further invetigation and I believe it's the graphics card, but it is very bizarre. I've run several benchmark and stability tests and it doesn't have any problems. I also ran dxdiag from Start > Run and ran the DirectDraw and Direct3D tests and they past. And tried several drivers for the card. But when I try to view live tv or even just a video that's on the computer the computer locks up. So I'm going to get another card and see but this is just bizarre. Thanks all

Jon Hancock
07-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Are the videos you are trying to play mpeg. Could it be something to do with a corrupt mpeg decoder. Clutching at straws really.

Cheers,
Jon.