PDA

View Full Version : Adding channels to OTA analog channel lineup

btv user
06-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I have an OTA analog channel lineup and was able to get it working for my zip code (i.e. I have channels in BTV and there is guide data listed for them). There are four additional channels that I can receive on my regular TV, yet they are not available in SnapStream's channel lineup for my zip code.

I have tried neighboring zip codes with no luck. I tried manually adding the channels in a new lineup, but no guide info displays for any of them. I did submit a support ticket and was basically told "to use XMLTV, along with the XMLTV importer, to get guide data into Beyond TV."

I checked the forums but all of them seem to be referring to an OTA digital channel lineup or a cable channel lineup (or anything other than an OTA analog channel lineup).

Am I understanding correctly that there is no way to add channels to your current (or a new custom) lineup and have them receive the guide data if you have an OTA analog channel lineup?

I'm not too excited about resorting to another product that I have to pay for (XMLTV). Obviously, I've already paid for BTV and I am wondering why isn't it working correctly.

ColdBrew
06-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I needed channels added/fixed for my OTA digital HD. And I had to do it though support. I don't see how you could fix it any other way because it downloads that info from snapstream.net...

They fixed it but it took 6 months and dozens of emails to get it right. I dread the process when the new stations are added/changed starting in the fall season...

btv user
06-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Ok. I guess I've got a dumb question then. In the webadmin, under "Channels", there is the option to create a new lineup (Create New). It allows you to manually add channels and also the callsign for each channel.

What is this feature for????

If when you manually add channels to a lineup they can't receive the guide data unless SnapStream updates the channel listings, why would you want to manually add channels at all?

Is there ever a time you would want to have a channel without the respective guide information? If so, that's no different than what my TV did before I began using BTV!

Fonceur
06-15-2006, 08:44 PM
why would you want to manually add channels at all?

To capture from a VCR, a camera or such... Not common usages, but... ;)

enigma9o7
06-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Is there ever a time you would want to have a channel without the respective guide information? If so, that's no different than what my TV did before I began using BTV!

Exactly! So you can still watch the channel - and you can schedule manual recordings if you want. If you don't add it, you can't watch or record the channel AT ALL, cuz BTV will not let you change to channels that aren't added, which is really dumb, cuz ike you said, you can do that on a normal TV... but with BTV, you can't.