PDA

View Full Version : What I think should happen with BeyondTV next

mastercko
06-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Now, don't get me wrong. I love BTV and BM. I think that they're the best software to come along in a long time, but I think that there are some things that would best be focused on NOW rather than later.

1) integration with Beyond Media. I don't know why you haven't done this yet, but the functionality of the two REALLY need to be integrated into one solution, like every other DVR program out there. And frankly, I think that it's important enough that if it's giving you problems of some sort, you should drop all other development and focus everyone on integrating them. But I guess we won't see this until BTV 5, though, so you can charge the users for it or something, which I understand (but don't necessarily like).

2) PIP. I figure that this feature would be a relative no-brainer to implement and the perceived benefit to users would be huge, but I don't know the specifics, so I can't say.

3) QAM HD support. I know you said you're working on it, but when do you think that we'll see it in the product? I'm waiting for this feature in BTV to actually take the dive and purchase an HDTV card. Actually, I'm also waiting to see if someone'll ever make a Dual HDTV card.

Again, I really love BeyondTV, these are just the steps that I think should take highest priority for future development in order to make this program untouchable in the DVR market.

cfaslave
06-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I agree with mastercko's list with the following list of my own:

1. BTV/BM integration (integration of DVD Player, Music, Video etc with BTV or vice versa)
2. PIP for TV
3. Placeshifting (like Orb)
4. Watch TV while browsing program guide (much like PIP request above)
5. Beyond TV Extender ( this would be a great seller and would draw more to the product
6. DVB-T for the non-U.S./Canada folks. Expand the user base I say...

QAM HD would be good, but I'm thinking that won't happen for quite a while from what I've read.

BTV is my product of choice and the integration of the BM & BTV would make it a no brainer for many.

Brent

Grasshopper
06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Better folder management. I want to tell BTV what folders it can record to and then let it use the space as best as possible.

Real support for the MediaMVP.

queonda
06-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Ditto with all the above + Season/episode information/filename.

Jon Hancock
06-08-2006, 02:29 AM
1. Have to say DVB-T is the number 1 priority for myself and I would suggest the vast majority of non US/Canadian users.
2. Also being able to setup folders with an option to show/not show in the BTV interface. Any movies that I record are showsqueezed. I then have to manually copy them to a seperate folder to access from the DVD plugin within BTV.

Apart from those two issues I am really happy with the stabilty, Picture quality and usability of BTV.

Cheers,
Jon.

yatman
06-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I agree with most of the above and would like to add increased flexibility in input sources and a season pass feature like TiVo. Place Shifting sounds good but unless you're a travelling road warrior, I don't see the benefit. PIP is cool if you have a dual-tuner card or a card with multiple input connections. I TOTALLY agree that BTV and BM need to be integrated. Just about EVERY HTPC app has these features integrated and I think Snapstream should get with it.

I'd also like to see a product roadmap indicating what's coming up that will differentiate BTV/BM from the features and functions that will be available in Vista.

queonda
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
...a season pass feature like TiVo.

Never had Tivo, What is the season pass? I thought it was like "Record all New" in BTV.

mikem
06-08-2006, 02:52 PM
1. Have to say DVB-T is the number 1 priority for myself and I would suggest the vast majority of non US/Canadian users.
2. Also being able to setup folders with an option to show/not show in the BTV interface. Any movies that I record are showsqueezed. I then have to manually copy them to a seperate folder to access from the DVD plugin within BTV.

Apart from those two issues I am really happy with the stabilty, Picture quality and usability of BTV.

Cheers,
Jon.

I have too agree with 1. It is what is keeping me on MCE. The base may not be as good as BTV/BM, but I need to be able to easily watch my channels and record full stop. Easy organisation of recordings etc is good but I need to get my recording done first, and working with external STB and IR Blaster just doesn't cut it for me.

Once DVB support is in BTV then I will be upgrading the day it is launched

yatman
06-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Season pass is basically the same as "record all new". Their algorithm for determining what's new and what's not seems better than most though. It is also tied into their wish list feature where you can early-request a show even though it's not on the guide yet (eg. maybe you saw an ad or heard about an upcoming new series but it's not in the listings yet).

horseflesh
06-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Now, don't get me wrong. I love BTV and BM. I think that they're the best software to come along in a long time, but I think that there are some things that would best be focused on NOW rather than later.

1) integration with Beyond Media

I fear that this factor alone will soon drive me into the arms of the competition. I don't want to mess around with adding extra front-ends or mousing around... It is not easy to build an all-media solution out of several apps and have it all work well with the remote. I want it all, and I want it in one place. So chalk up vote number 100,000 for this feature.

If full integration is too much to tackle, as an interim step, how about just adding a "my videos" feature so we can navigate to a file and play it? I am not sure but I suspect that that is what the majority of users would want most.

elmo4069
06-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I vote for native x64 support

hades
06-10-2006, 11:16 PM

1) integration with Beyond Media

I would love integration with Beyond Media, assuming Beyond Media grew up a bit and allowed for more customization of folders and the like.

In any case, my main worry about this is that I would ideally like to NOT have to use a tuner in my system in order to watch Live TV with BM. I have a server with a bunch of tuners (and the web-interface for this is fine, no other GUI is necessary), I would much like the idea of having BM integrated with BTVLink. This way all my computers have a nice consistent interface, but they all connect to the server when watching TV.

hades

Ninety-9 SE-L
06-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I would agree with some of the following:

1) Watch TV while in the guide or another menu. I'm coming from media center, so I love that there's a small TV at the corner of the screen. PIP would be cool too.

2) Definately BM integration.

Ninety-9 SE-L
06-12-2006, 10:03 AM
You know, the only thing BTV really needs (as far as BM features) is a DVD player and possibly a Multi-codec video player