PDA

View Full Version : NVDVD Decoder in BM -- No Sound

pamisano
03-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I recently modified the BeyondMediaSettings.xml file as instructed in this thread:
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showpost.php?p=131282&postcount=70

However, now I have no sound. Sound works with the Cyberlink audio decoder but not with the NVDVD audio decoder. Also, if I select the NVDVD video and Cyberlink audio decoders I still have no sound, picture looks great, but no sound.

Thx in advance...

StephaneM
03-14-2005, 07:34 AM
However, now I have no sound. Sound works with the Cyberlink audio decoder but not with the NVDVD audio decoder.

How is the audio configured in NVDVD ? From my experience the settings that do work is when you set NVDVD to use S/PDIF passthrough (also select it in BM).

If you select a 5.1 settings in NVDVD other than S/PDIF the audio will not work.

I don't know if you can have sound if you select only a stereo setup in NVDVD.

Regards,
Stéphane.

pamisano
03-14-2005, 07:26 PM
So how do I change the listening mode from stereo to spdif. I changed the setting from data spdif to audio spdif on the audio tab. Still no sound.

I tried 5.1, 7.1, and spdif in BM DVD settings, still no sound.

I am at a loss.

StephaneM
03-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Hello,

So how do I change the listening mode from stereo to spdif.

You'll have to play a DVD or an MPEG file in Windows Media Player, then locate the nvidia icon in the tray and open nvidia dvd decoder properties from this tray icon.

Click on the audi tab in the nvidia dvd decoder properties and configure it like on the attached screen cap.

In Beyond Media select the nvidia dvd decoder for audio and specify S/PDIF for "Dolby Channels".

Regards,
Stéphane.

pamisano
03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Ok, tried all that, no luck. As a matter of fact when I switch to spdif nothing works, no sound in BM or WMP.

In windows sound properties do I need to set the output to digital?

Maybe you could explain exactly what the spdif is and what it does. I would appreciate it.

My setup is not going to a receiver. I am using powered computer speakers via the AC97 onboard sound card. Does the NVDVD decoder require a different hardware output?

Another thing I noticed is that in the beyondmediasettings.xml file under dvd audio decoder is listed the Intervideo decoder, however, it does not appear as a selection in BM. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

StephaneM
03-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Maybe you could explain exactly what the spdif is and what it does. I would appreciate it.

S/PDIF stands for Sony / Philips Digital Interface. This denote a connection that allows transfer of digital audio signals from a device to another without having to convert the signal into an analog one (and thus degrading the signal). The digital signal can be PCM or AC3 (and other digital signals).

So usually you connect via S/PDIF either a digital speaker set or a home theater receiver. There is only one cable that is either a coaxial (RCA jack) or optical that goes from your PC to the receiver.

When you configure a software to use S/PDIF passthrough, you just tell the software to not decode in any way the digital signal.

Then your sound card must decide what to do with the digital signal :

* send the signal on the digital out of the sound card
* decode the signal and send it on the analog out of the sound card
* not decoding the signal and send garbage or nothing to the analog out of the sound card.

So for S/PDIF to produce a sound (in BM with nvdvd) you must:

* either connect to a receiver / speaker set via the digital out of your sound card (or sound chipset), the receiver must be able to decode the signal (AC3, PCM, DTS etc...) and of course enable the digital out of your sound card

* either connect to analog speakers (2 or more speakers) but your sound card must handle the decoding of the signal (AC3, PCM, DTS) and disable the digital out of your sound card (Actually I don't know if your chipset is able to decode the signal but I doubt, an Audigy 2ZS card will do)

If you can't do this, then you'll have to use the included audio codec with BM.

nvdvd will correctly work with Windows Media Player if you configure nvdvd to not use a receiver.

Regards,
Stéphane.

pamisano
03-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, turns out my onboard ac97 audio card didn't support s/pdif. I threw in a SB Audigy Gamer and everything works great.

Thanks for your help Stephane!