PDA

View Full Version : Is the PVR350 TV-Out functionality compatible with Beyond TV

njcaruso
06-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I want to use Beyond TV to output to my TV. I need to get a tuner card anyway so I'm thinking about buying the PVR350 (since it has TV-Out)...but will this work???? There are contradictions....

In the PC Magazine review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1554174,00.asp (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1554174,00.asp) they stated that they "tested Beyond TV 3 paired with the wonderful Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 tuner card ... It outputs directly to a TV, and video quality is very good for a PC-based solution". -- So it sounds like it works.

But, a knowledgebase article on SnapStream states (article #1155) http://kb.snapstream.com/Kb.aspx?kbid=1155 (http://kb.snapstream.com/Kb.aspx?kbid=1155) "the TV-OUT on the PVR-350 is not supported."

So I contacted SnapStream support and they responded: "We do support the pvr350 for video capture however we do not support or use its tv out functions. To output content to a tv you must use a video card that meets our minimum requirements that features tv out function and drivers that will allow it to mirror the display of the computer monitor on the tv out."

So I'm totally confused. I think I understand it to mean that Beyond TV needs a real graphics card with built in muscle to output the display. The TV-Out functionality of the PVR-350 just can't handle the processing requirements?

Is that correct. Or will the PVR-350 actually work like PC Magazine said it did? Please help....

Thanks,

RobertH
06-09-2004, 05:02 PM
BeyondTV is written from the ground up to use directx/direct3d to render its gui and video and as a result it can only be rendered to a real video card that provides 3d support, the hauppauge can decode mpeg and do it quite nicely however thats about all it can do, its very limited in its ability to display interfaces/graphics and with its limitation of mpeg playback that makes it useless for users who recompress to other formats for playback.

mcowger
06-09-2004, 05:15 PM
PC Magazine is wrong. BTV does NOT use the TV out on the PVR 350. You MUST get the output from your video card (whether via TV-Out on the video card or via a scan converter).

Eric3a
06-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Since you haven't bought the card yet, save yourself a few bucks and get a PVR 250 instead, and use the difference for a video card.
You won't loose any functionality for BTV. (And the FM radio is not a huge loss in my opinion.)
Eric

sparky6977
06-09-2004, 08:16 PM
where was this thread when i bought my 350

rbpett
06-09-2004, 08:50 PM
This is really a shame, because I've totally had to tweak beyondTV to get a decent picture out of my ATI card, and on a whim one day I decided to see how the TV out on the PVR 350 looked. I could only see it via the WINTV 2000 software that comes with the 350, but it looked freaking awesome! I am beside myself now, knowing that the TV out on the 350 kicks ass quality wise, but it won't work with beyond tv! I decided to try SAGE because they said it would support the tv out on the 350, but SAGE won't work on intel chipset platforms! BLEAUGHH! Of course it crashed just like everyone said it would. Oh well, I will try to patiently wait for software to catch up to hardware.

grrrr....

njcaruso
06-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Thanks for all the help. This really clarifies things and saves me tons of $$. I'm shocked that Hauppauge doesn't have a PVR series that has TV-Out capabilities for at least the video graphics requirements for BTV (16 MB RAM, 3D Acceleration, DirectX 9.0 compatibility). So it sounds like then that pretty basic PC games wouldn't be able to be projected through the PVR-350's TV-Out?

So why buy a Hauppauge product? Wouldn't it be best to get a TV Tuner that has the TV-Out functionality that I need (and I suspect a lot of other users). Is it because BTV recommendes Hardware Encoding?

....so what to do...and for a reasonable price? All I want to do is convert my secondary PC into a TIVO like system. Doesn't 1,000s of other folks out there want to do the exact same thing? TV-to-PC-back to-TV.

1 - Get an all-in-one TV Tuner with Hardware Encoding with integrated Graphics Card and integrated TV-Out? If so any recommendations?

2 - Get them separate. A Hauppauge 250 and then another Graphics Card with integrated TV-Out? If so any recommendations?

Thanks,

Terminal
06-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Thanks for all the help. This really clarifies things and saves me tons of $$. I'm shocked that Hauppauge doesn't have a PVR series that has TV-Out capabilities for at least the video graphics requirements for BTV (16 MB RAM, 3D Acceleration, DirectX 9.0 compatibility). So it sounds like then that pretty basic PC games wouldn't be able to be projected through the PVR-350's TV-Out?

So why buy a Hauppauge product? Wouldn't it be best to get a TV Tuner that has the TV-Out functionality that I need (and I suspect a lot of other users). Is it because BTV recommendes Hardware Encoding?

....so what to do...and for a reasonable price? All I want to do is convert my secondary PC into a TIVO like system. Doesn't 1,000s of other folks out there want to do the exact same thing? TV-to-PC-back to-TV.

1 - Get an all-in-one TV Tuner with Hardware Encoding with integrated Graphics Card and integrated TV-Out? If so any recommendations?

2 - Get them separate. A Hauppauge 250 and then another Graphics Card with integrated TV-Out? If so any recommendations?

Thanks,

The ATI AIW are a all in one solution, the only problem is that they are software encoders. Software encoders take alot of CPU. From my experience, most people that have problems are using a software encoder. Also if you someday want to use the multi tuner support of BTV you really need to get a hardware encoder.

A PVR250 and a Nvidia FX5200 is a pretty nice combo. PVR250 can be found for around $99.00 and a FX5200 can be had for about $50.00.

BTW I did exactly what you want to do, I turned an old system into a TIVO like device. See my sig for system specs. I have an old WinTV PCI that I did use for quite some time. I was limited to recording in WMV format and while recording I really couldn't do anything else on my system. With the PVR250 my system only uses about 5% of the CPU when recording, so I have plenty of CPU to spare.

dequire
06-10-2004, 07:45 AM
This is really a shame, because I've totally had to tweak beyondTV to get a decent picture out of my ATI card, and on a whim one day I decided to see how the TV out on the PVR 350 looked. I could only see it via the WINTV 2000 software that comes with the 350, but it looked freaking awesome! I am beside myself now, knowing that the TV out on the 350 kicks ass quality wise, but it won't work with beyond tv! I decided to try SAGE because they said it would support the tv out on the 350, but SAGE won't work on intel chipset platforms! BLEAUGHH! Of course it crashed just like everyone said it would. Oh well, I will try to patiently wait for software to catch up to hardware.

grrrr....

Again, as previously stated, the output on the PVR 250 and 350 would be about the same, assuming you use a decent (NV 5200 or greater) video card. This is because they both handle MPEG2 encoding the same. The video overlays are definately a differentiating feature of BTV, so I think most users would not want to give that up in order to use 1 card instead of 2.

Even MS MCE uses the 250. This also allows for you to use your Media PC for other things as well (Games, etc.). If you only had a 350, you would be reliant on your onboard vid out, which probaly would suck, in MHO.

As often said, just my .02

njcaruso
06-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the help. This forum is awesome. Thanks again!

jgourd
06-11-2004, 05:43 AM
You could use a VGA to TV adaptor. I have an Averkey device that I travel with and it does the job just fine. It was $50 at the store.

dequire
06-11-2004, 06:52 AM
You could use a VGA to TV adaptor. I have an Averkey device that I travel with and it does the job just fine. It was $50 at the store.

That's a good point - It just depends whether you want an all-enclosed solution or not. I tried on e of those and didn't like it at all, but it likely was the particular model I purchased.

raydarr
06-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Its a real shame you can't use the TV out on the
PVR350. If all you wanted was a TIVO like device
to set in you living room the 350 would be great..
I think Snapstream need to look a creating software
that would let you do this, not everyone wants to
watch TV on their computer so why have 2 cards
in your system when 1 card would do it all..I had to
get a MediaMVP just to get around that ,no TV out
downfall of the snapstream software, what a waste..
If you use a MiniATX or EPIA board, the onboard video
is OK for setting up the system but then to watch anything
you have to get another video card just to get video out..
PVR350 Mpeg encoding/decoding onboard, not much
else you would need for a top notch system.. I too am
looking at other software to get the job done and I have
been with snapstream since the first beta testing,, I think
they really missed the boat on this one :(

danny6869
07-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Just an easy question here....if I had the PVR350, could I use it just for encoding, and still watch LiveTV through my normal ATI video card? or does it take up my AGP slot or womething like that?

mcowger
07-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Just an easy question here....if I had the PVR350, could I use it just for encoding, and still watch LiveTV through my normal ATI video card? or does it take up my AGP slot or womething like that?

Yes, in fact you'd HAVE to do that -BTV doesn't support the TV out piece of the 350. The 350 is a PCI card, so no owrries about the AGP slot.

danny6869
07-19-2004, 10:39 AM
I guess my last question would be if the folks at BeyondTV have any plans to try and support the TV out of the PVR350. If so, then I will just get that one in anticipation of that support.

mcowger
07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Doubtful - it doesn't really fit with how their software is designed to work (what with DviX and WMV reencoding).