PDA

View Full Version : Controlling DirecTV Receiver from Different Room

GbMedusa
04-19-2004, 12:41 AM
I started using BeyondTV 3 a couple of days ago and it seem to be just the program I've been looking for. However, I have a couple of issues concerning remote channel changing.

I have a Hughes (GAEBOA model) DirecTV receiver in a separate room from my PC. I currently use a Wireless Remote Extender (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1950) (from Radio Shack) to control the box. The video/audio signal is fed from the receiver to an ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV video card through a coax.

My question is: is it possible to have BTV change channels on the receiver? I have seen several posts on the IR blasters but they all appear to be line of sight. If I get a USB-UIRT or another similar device, will I have to point it at the wireless remote extender? Would it even work?

If possible, I would like to avoid getting another receiver at this time.

If anyone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Zogg
04-19-2004, 04:20 PM
The output of the IR Blaster is infrared just like your remote, so you should be able to put the emitter (output of the IR blaster) near the wireless remote extender and have it work.

I'm using a serial connection myself that seems to work pretty good.

Z

GbMedusa
04-19-2004, 09:12 PM
I thought about that but, since it would have to run about 30 feet or so, I doubt I could find line to run that far. Plus, the only connections on the back of the receiver are "S-Video" and "RF Remote".

Zogg
04-19-2004, 10:56 PM
No, that's not what I meant. You are using IR extenders from RS to let you change channels in another room. You point the remote at the transmitter, it sends an RF signal to the remote extender receiver, which then outputs IR at the satellite receiver.

Use the same type setup for BTV. I assume the output of the IR blaster is an IR emitter that normally you stick onto the box you are controlling. Instead, stick it on or near the remote extender transmitter to send signals just like your remote. So instead of being a remote extender, it's an IR blaster extender.

BTW I use some of the Powermid remote extenders, the ones shaped like little pyramids. I have 3 transmitters and one receiver near the satellite receiver, so I can change the channel from 3 different remote places in the house. Maybe the set you are using will support another transmitter, so then you just add another transmitter for the BTV and keep using the existing one for your remote (unless you and the computer are in the same room).

Z

GbMedusa
04-20-2004, 07:23 AM
My apologies. When I said I thought about that but, since it would have to run about 30 feet or so, I doubt I could find line to run that far. I was referring to your statement I'm using a serial connection myself that seems to work pretty good.
I was just saying I don't think I can use a serial connection since it would have to span about 30 feet and I doubt serial cables come that long. By the way, how do you connect to the receiver? I only have RF REMOTE, S-VIDEO (out, I believe) and the phone connection on my box.

berfsicle
04-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by GbMedusa
My apologies. When I said I was referring to your statement
I was just saying I don't think I can use a serial connection since it would have to span about 30 feet and I doubt serial cables come that long. By the way, how do you connect to the receiver? I only have RF REMOTE, S-VIDEO (out, I believe) and the phone connection on my box.
your receiver has to have a serial connection on the back (sometimes its actually shaped like a phone connection)...from the sound of it, u might have the same receiver i have, which doesnt have serial :(

GbMedusa
05-01-2004, 05:06 PM
I had another thought concerning this. Is there some type of RF remote setup that works similarly to this:

1) RF Transmitter connected to PC (preferably USB or FireWire)
2) RF Receiver connected to DirecTV receiver.

Thus, the PC would communicate directly with the receiver without having to deal with IR line-of-sight issues. I have been reading information on the various controllers available (USB-UIRT, My.TV Myblaster, etc.) but it is difficult to tell how they connect with no diagrams.

If anyone has suggestions on where to start looking, I would appreciate it.

robert@my.tv
05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
GbMedusa,

As far as I'm aware, the thing that comes closest to what you're describing is the MyBlaster RF. (BTW, I work for My.TV Store which sells it.) The unit works by attaching a transmitter unit to the PC via serial or USB. The transmitter sends control signals to a receiver unit via RF. However, the receiver unit doesn't really "connect" to the tuner. It just emits the control signals as IR like a remote control. It can control the tuner from across a room or you can use the included wired emitter.

This system works similarly to what Zogg described, which is to use any blaster (USB-UIRT, MyBlaster, Tira, Actisys, etc.) along with a remote control extender like the Powermid; except that it's just more integrated.

GbMedusa
05-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the response.

I checked the products My.TV Store had to offer. There seemed to be several choices of control devices. Confusion drove me to purchasing the USB-UIRT (sorry). I hope I do not live to regret this decision.

I decided to go the for the whole shebang: USB-UIRT, PVR-250 & BTV3. I had no problem getting the trial version of BTV3 to work so I hope it will only be a matter of inputting a registration code.

As for the remote control issue, I may have to give MyBlaster a shot if USB-UIRT proves to be unsuccessful. I just hope I have not gotten in over my head, what with all the talk of Girder, HERemote (did I get that right? I think I need sleep) and who knows what else.

And as for having to replace my 8500DV with the 250 since I am out of PCI slots, well...that's another thing altogether.

Goodnight y'all.